SPI Board Election

We are electing a trustee for the Student Publications Inc. Board, which oversees The Daily Iowan.

Candidate Statements:

Jeff Browne
Executive Director, Quill and Scroll International Honor Society for High School Journalists

I have just begun my first year at the University of Iowa, serving as the Executive Director of the Quill and Scroll International Honor Society for High School Journalists, an affiliate organization of the School of Journalism and Mass Communication. I also will serve as an adjunct journalism professor this fall, teaching sports writing.

I am an experienced student media manager, having served four years as the Director of Student Media at Colorado State University after having been the editorial adviser for five years previous to that. I supervised a staff of seven full-time professionals and more than 200 student employees and volunteers who all contributed to the daily student newspaper, the daily television news programs, the 24/7 FM radio station and the quarterly student magazine.

Nataša Ďurovičová
Acad/Sci Writer/Editor, International Writing Program

As a 60% P&S staffer in a super-busy program, I see the burden staff is increasingly asked to shoulder in the ever-more-efficiency-driven administrative reforms (e.g. the Shared Services changes). I have also seen the impressive talent contained—and often hiding– in the staff ranks of this institution. It would be great to be involved in DI’s coverage from the vantage point of that group that effectively holds together the university’s academic and the administrative layers.