A.J. Epenesa

Nick Rohlman

Defensive end A.J. Epenesa poses for a portrait during Iowa Football media day on Friday, Aug. 10, 2018.

Pete Ruden, Sports Editor

Only one defensive player has ever won the Heisman Trophy, and MVP Awards are almost as rare, but sophomore defensive end A.J. Epenesa has been an MVP-caliber player for the Hawkeyes through three games.

Despite not being listed as a starter, Epenesa has proved worthy of his 5-star recruiting ranking, racking up 12 tackles, 4 sacks, 4 tackles for loss, 2 forced fumbles, and a pass defended.

He has essentially been unstoppable, a nightmare for opposing quarterbacks and offenses as a whole. In fact, Epenesa has forced a fumble in more games than he has not.

Iowa ranks second in the Big Ten (behind Penn State) and third in the country with 12 sacks. Epenesa has accounted for a third of those. It is crazy to think that one player — who doesn’t even start — can affect one of the nation’s top defenses the way Epenesa has.

The Hawkeyes rank second in the country and first in the Big Ten in total defense, allowing just 209 yards per game.

Iowa also leads the conference and ranks second in the NCAA giving up just 8 points a game. That mark is the lowest the Hawkeyes have reached since allowing 8 total points through three games in 2008.

Epenesa has been the best player on a defense that is one of the best in the country and in some pretty elite company.

A huge reason Iowa’s defense has been as good as it has, Epenesa deserves credit where it is due.