Softball wins first exhibition game

The Hawkeyes stepped onto the field for their first game of fall with a new head coach.

Freshman+Abby+Lien%2C+utiliy+and+center%2C+bats+during+the+Iowa+v+Kirkwood+softball+game+at+the+Pearl+Softball+Complex+in+Coralville+on+Sept+14%2C+2018.+The+Hawkeyes+defeated+the+Kirkwood+Eagles+10-6.+
Freshman Abby Lien, utiliy and center, bats during the Iowa v Kirkwood softball game at the Pearl Softball Complex in Coralville on Sept 14, 2018. The Hawkeyes defeated the Kirkwood Eagles 10-6.

Katie Goodale

Katie Goodale

Anna Kayser, Assistant Sports Editor

The Iowa softball team opened the exhibition season with a 10-6, 10-inning victory over Kirkwood on Sept. 14.

The game got off to a scary start for the Hawkeyes when starting pitcher — and 2017 ace — Allison Doocy was hit by a line drive to end the first inning.

Luckily for Doocy, the offense gave her plenty of time to recover for the second inning.

Sophomore left fielder Aralee Bogar led off the bottom of the first with a single, then collected her first stolen base of the fall. With two on and one out, 2017 offensive weapon first baseman Mallory Kilian capitalized with a double off the left-center wall.

The scoring didn’t stop there. Kilian scored on a throwing error, pushing the score to 3-0 heading into the top of the second.

The Hawkeyes upped the ante in the bottom of the third, ringing up 6 runs on 7 hits and a walk, all coming with two outs.

Doocy ended the first part of her day giving up 0 runs in two innings.

Kirkwood put together some offense in the top of the fifth with Hawkey Erin in the pitching circle. The Eagles’ first run scored on a Hawkeye error, with another following on a hit up the middle, and the offense didn’t stop there.

Going into the bottom of the fifth, the Iowa lead was cut to 9-6.

The Hawkeye’s started to look like their old selves in the bottom of the fifth, losing a scoring opportunity with two outs.

The scoring lapsed for both teams until the bottom of the ninth inning, when Iowa plated another to make the score 10-6. The teams played 10 innings in the matchup.

The Hawkeyes collected 18 hits in the contest but committed 2 errors.

Anna Kayser, Assistant Sports Editor
Anna Kayser is currently the Assistant Sports Editor and a football reporter at the DI. She began her college career as a news reporter before moving to the Politics team with a focus on the work of Sen. Chuck Grassley. In her sophomore year, she spent both semesters as a sports beat reporter covering Hawkeye...
  • Softball wins first exhibition game

Softball

Iowa softball has been revamped thanks to a partially new coaching staff

• Softball wins first exhibition game

Softball

Softball coaches bring unique talents to Iowa

• Softball wins first exhibition game

Softball

Hawkeye softball eyes revival under Gillispie’s helm

• Softball wins first exhibition game

Rick Dillinger named assistant softball coach

• Softball wins first exhibition game

Softball

Softball announces fall schedule

• Softball wins first exhibition game

Softball

New coaches, new faces, new stats for softball

• Softball wins first exhibition game

Softball

Potential for change brightens softball future

• Softball wins first exhibition game

Softball

Biggest areas of improvement for Iowa softball

• Softball wins first exhibition game

Softball

Softball tabs Gillispie as new head coach

• Softball wins first exhibition game

Softball

Softball head coach Marla Looper resigns