Halftime reactions – Northern Iowa vs. Iowa

Through one half of play, Iowa leads Northern Iowa, 21-0. The Daily Iowan has you covered with first-half reactions.

Iowa tight end Noah Fant celebrates as he crosses the goal line in the first quarter of a football game against Northern Iowa at Kinnick Stadium on Satruday, Sep. 15, 2018. At halftime, the Hakeyes led the Panthers 21-0. (David Harmantas/The Daily Iowan)

David Harmantas

David Harmantas

Adam Hensley and Anna Kayser

Through two quarters at Kinnick, Iowa leads Northern Iowa, 21-0.

Hello, offense.

With Wisconsin on the horizon, it’s no secret that Iowa’s offense had to show up against Northern Iowa, and it did.

The Hawkeyes scored three touchdowns to take a decently large lead on the Panthers, which was three more than they had in any other first half this season.

A big part of that was building confidence in quarterback Nate Stanley’s passing game, and it turns out that all he had to do was find tight end Noah Fant.

In the first half, Fant had 99 yards on 5 catches, with wideout Nick Easley following with 5 catches for 44 yards.

Oh, and what about when Iowa was faced with a close fourth down? The Hawkeyes went 3-for-3 on conversion attempts.

The woes only appeared late in the second quarter with an interception and a blocked field goal against the Hawkeyes. But hey, Iowa actually jumped out to a pretty hefty first-half lead for once, so what does anyone have to complain about?

Anna Kayser

UNI’s offense isn’t great, but Iowa’s defense is.

Iowa’s defense seems to have picked up right where it left off against Iowa State a week ago.

The Panthers are scoreless after two, meaning Iowa has not allowed a touchdown for six quarters in a row. That’s not too bad at all.

Much like the defense as a whole, birthday boy A.J. Epenesa hasn’t slowed down — he’s tallied a sack and 2 tackles in the first half.

But Iowa’s defense hasn’t allowed Northern Iowa to achieve any sort of rhythm — a big change from years past. The Panthers have just 22 yards of offense. Quarterback Colton Howell is 3-for-10, throwing for 22 yards and an interception, but the running game hasn’t been able to help him out — the Panthers have “racked up” minus-2 yards on the ground.

Adam Hensley

Twitter reactions

Brady Ross did his thing once again, converting on a fourth-and-1, and Hawkeye fans could not have been happier.

Fans are happy to see that the passing game is clicking, especially on third down.

They’re also happy to see more than 6 points at halftime.

About the Writers
Adam Hensley, Pregame Editor
Adam Hensley is the current Pregame Editor at the DI, covering football, men’s basketball, and baseball. Formerly the DI Sports Editor, Hensley has been on staff for all four years of his time at the University of Iowa, covering a wide range of sports, including cross-country, track and field, and women’s basketball. Comments comments
Anna Kayser, Assistant Sports Editor
Anna Kayser is currently the Assistant Sports Editor and a football reporter at the DI. She began her college career as a news reporter before moving to the Politics team with a focus on the work of Sen. Chuck Grassley. In her sophomore year, she spent both semesters as a sports beat reporter covering Hawkeye...
  • Halftime reactions – Northern Iowa vs. Iowa

A look back at the best of Kinnick Stadium under the lights

University of Iowa no longer a top 20 party school

City Council

City Council candidates hold public forum to communicate with students

Twin UI sophomores double as YouTube celebrities

Lawsuit against University of Iowa presidential search committee settled

Johnson County Historical Poor Farm bringing in charitable food production, low-income housing

After Miss America, Miss Iowa looks forward to a year of service to the state

Passing game sharp in Hawkeyes’ nonconference finale

Defense flexes its muscles, offense wakes up against UNI

Hawkeyes throttle Panthers, 38-14