Jim Lindenmayer assumes position on state Board of Regents

Jim Lindenmayer made his first appearance at a full meeting of the state Board of Regents.

Katie Goodale

Board member John Lindenmayer listens during the state Board of Regents meeting on Thursday, Sept. 13, 2018 in the IMU Main Lounge. University of Iowa President Bruce Harreld and others made various announcements before being interrupted by Faculty Forward, a protest group for the rights of untenured faculty members.

Aadit Tambe, News Reporter

New Regent Jim Lindenmayer made his début this week at a full state Board of Regents meeting; Gov. Kim Reynolds appointed him in June.

Lindenmayer, a former president of Indian Hills Community College, took Regent Subhash Sahai’s place following Sahai’s resignation on June 8.

Appointed in 2013, Sahai’s term would have expired in 2019. After absences from two-consecutive meetings, he resigned from the post.

According to Iowa Code, if a person “does not attend three or more consecutive regular meetings” of a board, he or she has effectively resigned.

“Regent Sahai has been a valuable member of the Board of Regents,” Regent President Mike Richards said in a statement. “It is unfortunate that he will not be able to complete his term, but we respect his decision. He has served this board with distinction and we wish him well.”

Moving from the community-college system to the regents offers new challenges and opportunities, but change remains constant, Lindenmayer said in a statement.

“Education will be strongly influenced in the next five years by technology, financing, delivery, and access,” he said. “All four of the arenas are very fluid and demand that the institutions and government work hand-in-hand to provide the best resources possible.”

The regents’ website said Lindenmayer has been involved with Job Corps, the nation’s largest residential training program for youth ages 16 to 24, for approximately 15 years.

“Our universities provide great opportunities through education and research,” he said. “They also are economic engines that are imperative to moving Iowa forward. I want to be part of that.”

Regents are appointed by the governor and approved by the state Senate.

“I am pleased to appoint Jim to the Board of Regents,” Gov. Kim Reynolds said in a statement. “He spent the bulk of his career in leadership at one of Iowa’s community colleges and has a passion, as I do, for work-based learning.”

His focus was on training Iowans to give them the advanced skills and experience needed to meet workforce needs and provide them with great careers, Reynolds said.

“I am confident he’ll bring that passion to the board and Iowa’s public universities,” she said.