Hawkeye women’s soccer returns a proven scorer

Devin Burns will make her season debut against Iowa State, giving the Hawkeyes one more offensive asset.

Iowa+midfielder+Natalie+Winters+plays+a+pass+during+Iowa%E2%80%99s+game+against+Central+Michigan+on+Friday%2C+Aug.+31%2C+2018.+The+Hawkeyes+defeated+the+Chippewas+3-1.+Winters+scored+the+Hawkeyes%E2%80%99+third+goal+on+a+penalty+kick+in+the+second+half.+

Nick Rohlman

Iowa midfielder Natalie Winters plays a pass during Iowa’s game against Central Michigan on Friday, Aug. 31, 2018. The Hawkeyes defeated the Chippewas 3-1. Winters scored the Hawkeyes’ third goal on a penalty kick in the second half.

James Geerdes, Sports Reporter

Iowa soccer has enjoyed success this season, finding time and time again a way to win — or in better terms, a way not to tie.

The 4-0-1 Hawkeyes have often been stagnant in the first half, relying on late-game heroics to top their opponents.

Even with the impressive early record, Iowa has lacked a spark along the frontline. Junior Kaleigh Haus has created opportunities, with 13 shots on goal, but has yet to capitalize this season.

Iowa may be getting the offensive spark it needs this weekend with the season début of junior forward Devin Burns. The Iowa State game will mark Burns’ first game back since injuring her meniscus right before the summer exhibition game on Aug. 12.

“This injury really did stink, especially right before the first exhibition game,” Burns said. “But this team really did step it up. It feels good to come back in three weeks when it usually takes four to six. I’m grateful that I’ve been able to go through this process really quickly.”

Last season, Burns led the Hawkeyes in goals with 9, shots on goal with 25, and assists with 5.

“[Burns] is a proven goal scorer,” head coach Dave DiIanni said. “Anytime you can count on a little consistency on the roster that helps — especially that line in terms of forwards.”

The addition of Burns goes beyond just her accolades; her teammates say she boosts the players around her.

“She is another upperclassman, so she brings that leadership to the forward line as well as Kaleigh,” senior defender Morgan Kemerling said. “They work really well together — they have this dynamic combination that we’ll, hopefully, score some goals with.”

Burns was cleared to play the week before the Hawkeye Invitational, but with the Big Ten season on the horizon, Burns’ health was the top priority.

“We’ve been patient with her, and she’s been patient because we want her to come back and be comfortable,” DiIanni said. “We’re excited to see her contribute on the field and break herself in before Big Ten starts.”

Iowa will take on Iowa State this weekend for the Cy-Hawk Trophy. After the Cy-Hawk match on Friday, Iowa will see Wyoming on Sept. 9 before kicking off the Big Ten season against Maryland on Sept. 14.

Iowa’s second leading scorer, Olivia Fiegel, may return from injury this weekend as well. Fiegel, who scored 6 goals last season, helped guide Iowa past Iowa State last season with a goal in overtime.

“Any game is a big game, but this just adds a little extra,” Burns said. “I’m just ready to get out there and kick some butt.”

The Hawkeyes have been able to hold their own without last year’s leading scorer. New faces have dotted the stat sheets for Iowa. Junior Natalie Winters has 3 goals under her belt, and redshirt freshman Josie Durr has 2. Freshman Sara Wheaton has earned 2 assists.

“They’ve done a really good job stepping up,” Burns said. “Just having [Fiegel and me] come in now adds a little bit of a spark to the team.”