Iowa soccer outguns Central Michigan

The Hawkeyes earned three unanswered goals to come from behind and beat Central Michigan.

Iowa Midfielder Natalie Winters (10) plays a pass during Iowa’s game against Central Michigan on Friday, Aug. 31, 2018. The Hawkeyes defeated the Chippewas 3-1. Winters scored the Hawkeyes’ third goal on a penalty kick in the second half. (Nick Rohlman/The Daily Iowan)

James Geerdes, Sports Reporter

The Hawkeye soccer team hit the pitch on Aug. 31 under the lights and earned a come-from-behind 3-1 victory over the Central Michigan Chippewas.

Central Michigan went up early with a goal in the 10th minute. Forward Shiela Magnan found the ball at her feet just inside the box and threaded a strike through the Iowa defense and into the top left corner of the goal. It marked the first goal against Iowa this season.

Hawkeye midfielder Natalie Winters notched 2 goals in the win, scoring on a header off a corner kick in the 33rd minute and capitalizing on a penalty in the 67th.

Freshman Josie Durr, earning her first start for the Black and Gold, found the back of the net for the first time in her career in the 61st minute. Freshman defender Sarah Wheaton put the ball in the box from midfield, which bounced off the foot of Emma Tokuyama. Durr was able to finish the job from two yards out.

Iowa held off the attacks of Chippewa Lexi Palafas, a dynamic scoring threat in the MAC.

The Hawkeyes will return to action against VCU at 1:30 p.m. Sept. 2 at the Iowa Soccer Complex.

James Geerdes, Sports Reporter
James “Jim” Geerdes is a sports reporter, digital producer, and designer. He is currently  a sophomore. He spent his freshman year covering wresting, softball, and rowing, while also designing for the print newspaper. Comments comments
  • Iowa soccer outguns Central Michigan

Soccer

Hawkeye soccer ties Purdue, looks forward to Indiana

• Iowa soccer outguns Central Michigan

Soccer

Iowa soccer hosts Big Ten contest

• Iowa soccer outguns Central Michigan

Soccer

Iowa soccer goes cold on road trip

• Iowa soccer outguns Central Michigan

Soccer

Hawkeye soccer set to kick off Big Ten play

• Iowa soccer outguns Central Michigan

Soccer

Iowa soccer gears up for Big Ten action

• Iowa soccer outguns Central Michigan

Soccer

Iowa soccer suffers first losses of season

• Iowa soccer outguns Central Michigan

Soccer

Hawkeye soccer seeks to get Cy-Hawk Series off to fast start

• Iowa soccer outguns Central Michigan

Soccer

Hawkeye women’s soccer returns a proven scorer

• Iowa soccer outguns Central Michigan

Soccer

Freshmen help Iowa soccer navigate through Hawkeye Invitational

• Iowa soccer outguns Central Michigan

Soccer

Iowa soccer tops VCU to win Hawkeye Invitational