UIHC urgent care center provides an increase in accessiblity

UIHC’s new urgent care clinic, which opened July 10, celebrated its opening on Aug. 25.

The+new+UIHC+Urgent+Care+Clinic+on+Middlebury+Rd.+on+the+east+side+of+Iowa+City+as+seen+on+Monday%2C+Aug.+27%2C+2018.+

David Harmantas

The new UIHC Urgent Care Clinic on Middlebury Rd. on the east side of Iowa City as seen on Monday, Aug. 27, 2018.

Jordan Prochnow, News Reporter

Primary-care physicians and providers with the University of Iowa Health Care network recently opened a new clinic located on Scott Boulevard that aims to provide patients with a convenient way to obtain medical care.

UIHC celebrated its first Urgent Care Clinic on Aug. 25 with children’s activities and giveaways to allow the public to experience the new resources for patients. Since its opening on July 10, the clinic has provided patients with easier access to primary-care providers and treatment for acute-care needs.

“UIHC’s Urgent Care Clinic is a great resource for patients with a common illness or injury so that they can receive care without a lengthy, expensive trip to the Emergency Department when their primary-care provider is not available,” nursing student Emma Dinneen said.

The center joins UIHC’s five QuickCare Clinics, with locations in the University Capitol Center, Coralville, North Liberty, East Iowa City, and Mormon Trek Boulevard.

UI Clinical Assistant Professor of family medicine Katherine Imborek said the new clinic will operate as an extension of QuickCare. The new location has a lab on-site for routine testing, X-ray machines, and IV fluids for conditions including dehydration and migraines.

The center also features extended hours, and it is open on holidays, excluding Thanksgiving and Christmas, in an attempt to provide patients with busy schedules the opportunity to receive the care that they need.

“There are many times when patients cannot get into their primary-care provider, so this will allow more patients into our primary-care clinics to establish a relationship with a provider,” Advanced Practice Provider Angie Schadler said.

Quick Care and Urgent Care are clinical resources for patients with nonemergency medical conditions requiring both same-day care and access to a primary-care physician.

UI QuickCare states on its website that a visit to one of its centers should not replace regular visits to a primary-care provider, but the available physicians in the clinics provide care for minor injuries and illnesses.

Schadler said she believes the new center will reach a wider array of patients, especially those without the means to obtain health-care resources.

“The clinics are great opportunities for patients in this area, and the fact that we have a large transient population in the University of Iowa gives us lots of patients who might not have access to the care that they need,” Schadler said.

The center uses the UIHC’s new technology allowing patients to reserve a spot at the clinic online. Imborek said it would make appointments more convenient for both providers and patients, a major goal for the new clinic.

“Patients are starting to get the care that they need,” Schadler said.