Johnson County Crisis Center expands service to food-insecure residents

Last Thursday, the Johnson County Crisis Center debuted its revamped food bank warehouse to serve its 13,000 customers.

Matthew Finley

Donations sit outside the door to the Food Bank for the Crisis Center of Johnson Coutny on Sunday, Aug. 19, 2018. The Food Bank allows Johnson County residents to accept grocery assistance once per week.

Maria Kuiper, News Reporter

The size of the Johnson County Crisis Center’s Food Bank expanded Aug. 16 to better serve its increasing number of customers.

In 2003, the Crisis Center built its Food Bank warehouse to serve the 350 families that came in weekly. Now, the Crisis Center sees more than 1,000 families a week and distributes 1.17 million pounds more per year than when the Food Bank started. The Food Bank helps 13,000 of the 19,000 food-insecure individuals in Johnson County.

The expansion project’s estimated cost rose $50,000 because of the price inflation of raw materials after Hurricanes Irma and Harvey in 2017. This put the price at $425,000.

Carly Matthew, the Crisis Center communications coordinator, said in a flyer, “The project was funded largely by two major matching gifts: a $45,000 gift from the University of Iowa Community Credit Union and a $25,000 match from Adamantine Spine Moving.”

The pantry expansion also received three Johnson County sustainability grants and an Iowa City Community Development block grant.

The new and improved space adds a location for pallets, a bigger area for donations, a repackaging room to save food and money, as well as extra cooler space.

Sara Sadlacek, the Crisis Center communications and development director, said she was ecstatic about the new addition.

“It will be a better experience for our clients, volunteers, and staff,” she said. “But also our donors, who will have a dedicated room to drop off their donations away from our service area.”

In the state of Iowa, 360,540 people are food-insecure, according to feedingamerica.org. One out of every eight people struggles with hunger. In Johnson County, there are 19,690 food insecure individuals with a growing rate of 13.9 percent. This rate is higher than the state’s and the overall U.S. rate.

The Crisis Center has serviced the area with food since the start of a food pantry in 1978, which is open every business day and also provides a service for weekly food assistance.

The UI has its own Food Pantry as well, which receives assistance from the Crisis Center. The Food Pantry recently upgraded its space as well, with more shelving and second fridge for more refrigerated items. The Food Pantry is open Sunday, Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday at 212 IMU.

Danielle McComas, a member of the executive board for the Food Pantry, said she is enthusiastic about the Crisis Center’s upgrade. She is also inspired by the Crisis Center’s step forward with the expansion of the Food Bank.

“Progression among food pantries is so important for all communities,” she said. “It is incredible to watch the Crisis Center Food Bank grow its capacity to serve more people in Iowa City.”