Public forum held on city deer-reduction plan

Members of the public commented and asked questions about the deer-reduction plan being considered by the city which would potentially utilize sharpshooting as a way to reduce the deer population.

November 2017 file photo. (Jared Krauss for the Daily Iowan)

Gage Miskimen, Editor in Chief

City Hall was packed full of people on the night of Aug. 14 to discuss the future of the Iowa City deer population.

In a public-forum, members of the city’s “deer committee” and Iowa City residents discussed the city’s deer-reduction plan, which would allow a contractor to use sharpshooters to reduce the deer population in the Iowa City area.

Assistant City Attorney Sue Dulek said a public forum is part of the state of Iowa’s requirements to institute a deer-reduction plan. At a future City Council meeting, the councilors would decide what to do next in regard to the plan, which could include assessing a timeline, allocating funds, and obtaining state approval.

President of White Buffalo Inc. Anthony DeNicola presented data about deer-related incidents and described the surveying process that took place to estimate the deer population.

DeNicola said there has been a 60 percent increase in deer/vehicle collisions in the area in the last couple of years.

A spreadsheet from city police Public Information Officer Derek Frank sent to the DI in July showed the number of deer-related accidents from 2005 to 2018.

2005-2018 deer accidents

The city previously contracted with White Buffalo from 2000 to 2009 to use sharpshooters to reduce the deer population. In 2010, deer-population numbers were reported to be at a “reasonable level,” and officials did not seek another contract.

“Most of the communities we work in, they’re bigger,” DeNicola said. “We’ve lapsed long enough [in Iowa City] to where the population has increased.”

Do you think the city should utilize sharpshooting to reduce the deer population?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Members of the community lined up to recount stories of deer venturing into their yards, destroying garden projects and landscaping. They also described car accidents involving deer.

UI Assistant Professor Allison Jaynes said that just because people may not like deer, that doesn’t mean the animals should be killed to try to get rid of the problem.

“A lot of people know if you remove a pest from your house and don’t remove the attractant, others are going to come right back in,” she said. “I see sharpshooting as a temporary Band-Aid on a long-term problem.”

Preston Moore, the state director of the Humane Society, said he would prefer a method of reduction that wouldn’t harm the deer. Death by bullet, he said, is less stressful for the animal than being trapped or euthanized with chemicals.

“Our first preference is nonlethal, but if it is going to be done, sharpshooting is the most humane way to do it,” he said.

Gage Miskimen, Editor in Chief
Email: [email protected] Twitter: gagemisky Gage Miskimen is the current Editor in Chief at The Daily Iowan. He has worked at the DI all four years of his college career, starting out as a news reporter covering city council and Johnson County supervisors. He founded DI Films his sophomore year, bringing back the DI’s video section...
  • Public forum held on city deer-reduction plan

Baseball

Iowa shortstop Kyle Crowl leaves Hawkeye baseball

Iowa vs. Wisconsin: A Battle for the West

A look back at the best of Kinnick Stadium under the lights

Hawkeye Nick Niemann embraces football family

14-year-old Kid Captain remains ‘granny’s little fighter’

The hunt to prove the existence of sasquatch

NextGen America founder visits UI to engage youth voters

Students now required to apply for UI Honors program

Former Iowa Finance Authority director found to have sexually harassed employees, report says

University of Iowa no longer a top 20 party school