Primary to be held ahead of special election to fill vacant Iowa City City Council seat

FILE - Iowa City City Hall is seen on Tuesday, April 18, 2017. (The Daily Iowan/file)

The Daily Iowan; Photos by Josep

The Daily Iowan; Photos by Josep

Iowa City voters will mark their ballots on two occasions to elect a new city councilor now that at least three candidates have filed to fill a vacant City Council at-large seat.

Having more than two candidates means the city will hold a primary Sept. 4, with the special election to be held Oct. 2. The outcome of the election will determine who will fill the vacancy left by former Councilor Kingsley Botchway, who resigned in July to accept a position with the Waterloo school system. He was re-elected to the council in November 2017; his second term will end in 2021.

Candidates had until 5 p.m. Aug. 10 to file nomination petitions (with 128 signatures) with the Johnson County Auditor’s Office.

As of 1 p.m. Aug. 10, past Planning and Zoning Commission Chair Ann Freerks, Old Brick Executive Director Brianna Wills, and UI student Ryan Hall had filed.

Voters will use their regular polling places for both the primary and special election. Polls will be open from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. Sept. 4. The top-two candidates will be placed on the ballot in the October special election.

— DI staff

• Primary to be held ahead of special election to fill vacant Iowa City City Council seat

New website established in Mollie Tibbetts case

City Council

IC City Council special election set for Oct. 2

Hope is alive as the search for Mollie Tibbetts continues

Public forum held on city deer-reduction plan

Photos: Iowa Football Kid’s Day (8/11/18)

Takeaways from Kids Day at Kinnick

Kirk Ferentz Speaks at Kids Day

Multimedia

Photos: Portraits from Iowa Football media day (8/10/18)

Multimedia

Photos: Iowa Football Media Day (8/10/18)