Two Hawkeyes suspended for football season-opener

Alaric Jackson and Cedrick Lattimore will be suspended for the season-opener due to a violation of team rules.

David Harmantas/The Daily Iowan

Iowa football helmets line the sidelines during a game against Purdue University on Saturday, Nov. 18, 2017. The Boilermakers defeated the Hawkeyes 24 to 15. (David Harmantas/The Daily Iowan)

Adam Hensley, Pregame Editor

Make it four Hawkeyes suspended for the season-opening game against Northern Illinois on Sept. 1 in Kinnick.

On Aug. 8, the Iowa football program announced that offensive lineman Alaric Jackson and defensive lineman Cedrick Lattimore were suspended for the Hawkeyes’ opener because of violations of team policy and rules.

“As a coach, one of the most important decisions is to hold student-athletes accountable,” head coach Kirk Ferentz said in a release. “It is painful for the players and the team to impose a suspension, but we have high standards, and there is an expectation [that] all players abide by our rules.”

The release noted that the infractions were not a legal matter. “Violation of team policy or rules can include academic performance, attendance, timeliness, behavior, effort, and engagement … The issues surfaced in late spring, and both players were given guidelines to meet and milestones to achieve over the past 10 weeks.

“Their response has been excellent, and I am very pleased with how they are meeting our expectations,” said Ferentz in a release.

Earlier this offseason, defensive lineman Brady Reiff and offensive lineman Tristan Wirfs were suspended in July for the Northern Illinois game because of alcohol-related offenses.