Reynolds names Christensen to Iowa Supreme Court

Iowa Gov. Kim Reynolds speaks during her first Condition of the State address in the Iowa State Capitol in Des Moines on January 9, 2018. (The Daily Iowan/file photo)

The Daily Iowan; Photos by Josep

The Daily Iowan; Photos by Josep

Gov. Kim Reynolds, on Aug. 1 in Des Moines, announced that she would appoint District Judge Susan Christensen to the Iowa Supreme Court.

Christensen has served as district associate judge in Iowa’s 4th District since 2007.

Christensen, who primarily practiced family law until her appointment as district associate judge, said she hopes to bring her well-rounded experience to the Supreme Court in her application for the position. She is also the daughter of former Iowa Supreme Court Justice Jerry Larson, who died in April after serving on the court from 1978-2008. He was Iowa’s longest-serving high court justice.

In her application, Christensen said, “I believe our Supreme Court should reflect the people whom we serve — people from all parts of our state who have busy lives, challenging situations, and deep devotion to those we love and want to protect. I am the person who can provide that representation.”

“We need judges who understand the proper role of the courts in our government,” Reynolds said during the press conference on Aug. 1. “Judges who will apply the law and not make it. Judges who will decide cases based upon the text of our statutes and Constitution, not their personal policy preferences. Over the past weeks, I have considered the three nominees for the Supreme Court … after careful consideration, I am pleased to announce that I have appointed Judge Suzie Christensen as Iowa’s newest Supreme Court justice.”

During the press conference, Christensen said she was “honored and humbled” by Reynolds’ appointment, and she thanked Reynolds for “entrusting me with this incredible honor.”

Twenty-one candidates were considered for the vacant position, 14 of whom were women ​— since 1962, Iowa has operated under a merit-selection process for the Supreme Court. According to the Iowa Judicial Branch website, this is “designed to emphasize the professional qualifications of applicants for judicial appointment and minimize partisan politics.”

— Charles Peckman

• Reynolds names Christensen to Iowa Supreme Court

Public forum held on city deer-reduction plan

Primary to be held ahead of special election to fill vacant Iowa City City Council seat

City Council

Wills set to run for Iowa City City Council

City Council

Ryan Hall launches second bid for Iowa City City Council

City Council

IC City Council special election set for Oct. 2

Mollie Tibbetts’ family announce reward fund two weeks after disappearance

Higher Education

More UI programs may feel the burn of state budget cuts

Local Government

Public to give input on city’s deer-reduction plan

News

Furry friends and creepy crawlers: Hunting dogs increase the number of ticks for caretakers

News

MapTrek research helps combat a health crisis