James Butler signs with Oakland Raiders

The Oakland Raiders signed former Iowa and Nevada running back James Butler on July 29.
Iowa running back James Butler dives for a touchdown during Iowa’s game against Nebraska at Memorial Stadium on Friday, Nov. 24th, 2017. The Hawkeyes defeated the Cornhuskers 56-14. (Nick Rohlman/The Daily Iowan)

Former Hawkeye running back James Butler is now a member of the Oakland Raiders.

Gary Dolphin, Iowa’s play-by-play radio network broadcaster for football, tweeted out the news on the evening of July 29.

Butler’s signing came within hours of news breaking that running back Jalen Richard suffered a calf strain, meaning Oakland was in the market for another tailback with its roster sitting at 89 players.

Butler played just one season at Iowa. In that lone year with the Hawkeye, he carried the ball 91 times, totaling 396 yards and 1 touchdown as a backup to Akrum Wadley.

Before joining Iowa as a graduate transfer, Butler tore up the field at Nevada for three seasons, gaining 3,316 yards and scoring 27 touchdowns.