Hawkeye football weekend roundup

Award watch lists and police reports include Hawkeye players’ names.
Iowa tight end Noah Fant celebrates after scoring a touchdown during Iowa’s game against Nebraska at Memorial Stadium on Friday, Nov. 24th, 2017. The Hawkeyes defeated the Cornhuskers 56-14. (Nick Rohlman/The Daily Iowan)

As head coach Kirk Ferentz, quarterback Nate Stanley, and defensive linemen Parker Hesse and Matt Nelson represent Iowa football in Chicago for the annual Big Ten media days, here’s a roundup of the Hawkeye news from over the past weekend.

Brady Reiff cited for public intoxication

Hawkeye football defensive tackle Brady Reiff was cited for a public intoxication on July 21.

The incident occurred in Iowa City. Hawkeye Athletics Director Gary Barta issued a statement on July 21 in response.

“We are aware of the incident and are currently gathering additional facts,” Barta said in a release. “Brady is subject to the rules and regulations of the UI Student-Athlete Code of Conduct, and the rules and regulations of coach Kirk Ferentz and his program.”

In the 2017 season, Reiff recorded 13 tackles, a sack, and an interception. There has been no mention what sort of punishment he’ll face, but as Barta suggested, he will face some consequences from the football program.

Keegan Render on Rimington Trophy watch list

Hawkeye center Keegan Render’s name wound up on the Rimington Trophy watch list this past weekend. The senior from Indianola played all over the line last season, seeing time at center, right guard, and left guard. He started in all the Hawkeyes’ 13 games.

Most recently, former Hawkeye Austin Blythe was a finalist in 2015.

According to a release, the award goes to “the nation’s premier center in college football and is presented annually by the Boomer Esiason Foundation.”

Also in the release, the winner of the Rimington Trophy will be announced on Jan. 12, 2019, at the Rococo Theater in Lincoln Nebraska.

Hawkeye tight ends named to John Mackey watch list

Along with Render being on an award watch list, Hawkeyes Noah Fant and T.J. Hockenson were named to the John Mackey Award preseason watch list.

The award goes to the nation’s best tight end. There are only three teams with at two players on the list, with Iowa being one.

During the offseason, Fant was named to the Athlon Sports All-Big Ten team and was a first-team All-American. He was also a preseason All-American selection for Sporting News.

Last season, Fant dominated defenses, snagging a career-high 30 catches for 494 yards. He also set the school record for touchdowns in a season by a tight end with 11, leading the country in 2017 in that category as well. He also led the country’s tight ends with 16.5 yards per catch.

Hockenson proved to be an excellent complement to Fant in 2017. He hauled in 24 receptions, racked up 320 yards, and scored 3 touchdowns. In Iowa’s upset win over then-No. 3 Ohio State, Hockenson shone, catching 5 passes for 71 yards and a pair of scores.

The Mackey Award, the namesake of former Syracuse and Baltimore Colt tight end John Mackey, was established in 2000. According to a release, the “winner must demonstrate outstanding athletic abilities, be in good academic standing, and exhibit positive sportsmanship qualities.”

The winner will be announced on Dec. 5 and presented the following day at the Home Depot College Football Awards Show.