Trombone Fest wraps up at Voxman

The International Trombone Festival wraps up a weekend of sliding discovery at Voxman.
Soloist+Peter+Moore+plays+the+trombone+during+the+United+States+Army+Field+Band+and+Soldiers+Chorus+concert+at+the+Voxman+Building+on+July+12%2C+2018.+%28Katina+Zentz%2FThe+Daily+Iowan%29+
Soloist Peter Moore plays the trombone during the United States Army Field Band and Soldiers’ Chorus concert at the Voxman Building on July 12, 2018. (Katina Zentz/The Daily Iowan)

The sound of trombones filled the Voxman Music Building this past weekend.

The annual International Trombone Festival concluded its 47th year of bringing together students, professors, professionals, pedagogues, and enthusiasts to celebrate everything the trombone has to offer.

This year’s festival was bigger and brassier than ever with approximately 900 attendees participating in recitals, performances, workshops, and discussions to increase their knowledge and skills of the different types of advancements occurring in the trombone community.

University of Iowa music Lecturer Jonathan Allen, who co-hosted the festival, said this year, he wanted to bring young and upcoming trombonists and encourage musicians to play new music. He also implemented a faculty showcase to give UI faculty such as himself an opportunity to perform at the largest event in the trombone world, he said.

“We knew we would have a world-class venue, and it’s not only a way to showcase the new music building but what Iowa City has to offer and what the UI has to offer,” Allen said.

This Voxman Concert Hall was packed for one of the highlighted concerts performed by the U.S. Army Field Band, featuring solo trombonist Peter Moore.

UI trombone student Noah Perkins, who volunteered for the festival, said he especially loved the Army Field Band’s performance of the “T-Bone Concerto”, by Dutch composer Johan de Meij. Perkins described the work as one of the most ridiculous live performances he has ever heard in his life.

“You wouldn’t think getting 900 trombone players together would be super fun, but actually, it’s been great to see all these people who I really have looked up to for a long time here at the UI, and it’s super incredible with all these live performances, ” he said. “I’m learning so much.”

Other highlighted events included the Youth Workshop Program, directed by Rob Medd and led by professional trombonists such as media icon Christopher Bell for students 17 and younger to advance their skills with kids who share their passion for the trombone.

The festival is all about sharing advancements in the trombone community. Festival manager Justin Cook said the organizers tried to get new music premi​èred for those teaching in different parts of the country to take back to their schools to perform for their students.

Trombone player and artist DJ Kennedy, who has attended the festival for years, said he really appreciated the beautiful building and the trombonists’ dedication to the humbling instrument.

“It’s a wonderful way of life, and that’s what the whole festival is about: It gives people something they can do forever,” Kennedy said. “It’s about culture, it’s about music, and it’s about sharing these gifts we have.”

The festival will continue on its journey in 2019, heading to Ball State University of Muncie, Indiana, for another year of sliding-scale entertainment.