Hawkeyes out West in NBA Summer League

Two former Hawkeyes, Jarrod Uthoff and Devyn Marble, wrapped up their time in the Las Vegas Summer League on July 15.

Iowa's Jarrod Uthoff, right, works off the dribble against Penn State's Isaiah Washington on Wednesday, Feb. 17, 2016, at the Bryce Jordan Center in University Park, Pa. The Nittany Lions upset Iowa, 79-75. (Abby Drey/Centre Daily Times/TNS)

TNS

TNS

Adam Hensley, [email protected]

While the NBA is in offseason mode, there’s still plenty of basketball to be played.

The 2018 Summer League is in full swing out in Las Vegas, and two former Hawkeyes have been in action: Jarrod Uthoff and Devyn Marble.

Uthoff’s Boston Celtics squad sits at 4-1 in the Las Vegas League, while Philadelphia (Marble’s team) has a 2-3 mark. Despite different records, both players have received solid playing time in hopes of joining an NBA roster.

Jarrod Uthoff

Las Vegas Summer League per-game stats (six games)

Minutes: 18.3

Points: 8.2

Field-goal percentage: 40%

Rebounds: 4.8

Assists: 0.2

Steals: 0.5

Blocks: 1.7

Boston faced off against Portland in the Las Vegas quarterfinals on Sunday. Uthoff received the starting nod but finished with a forgettable stat line: 3 points on 1-of-10 shooting, 3 rebounds, 2 blocks, and 1 steal in his 17 minutes on the court.

The day before, Uthoff had a better performance, dropping 11 points and added 6 rebounds in 22 minutes in Boston’s 74-72 win over Miami.

In the Celtics’ 100-80 win over Charlotte on July 9, Uthoff had his best outing in Las Vegas. In 15 minutes off the bench, the forward scored 16 points (on 6-of-9 shooting), grabbed 6 rebounds, and added an assist for good measure.

This summer, Uthoff has been streaky. In his first three games, he shot 54.5 percent from the floor, but then he shot 28 percent in his final three games.

One constant in Uthoff’s stat line was blocked shots. Using his length to his advantage, he was able to record at least 1 block in all six Summer League games.

Per 40 minutes, Uthoff is looking at roughly an 18-point, 10.1-rebound, 3.7-block stat line.

Last season, Uthoff was a member of the Fort Wayne Mad Ants, one of the teams in the G-League. There, he averaged 16.5 points, 8.4 rebounds, and 2.5 assists per game. In the 50 games he saw action, Uthoff started 44.

Devyn Marble

Las Vegas Summer League per-game stats (three games)

Minutes: 13.3

Points: 4.3

Field-goal percentage: 21%

Rebounds: 1.3

Assists: 1

Steals: 0.7

Blocks: 0

Marble’s 76er team squared off against the Memphis Grizzlies on Sunday in the quarterfinals as well, but unlike former teammate Uthoff, Marble didn’t play.

Marble’s best stat line of the Summer League came in Philadelphia’s 87-75 loss to Washington on July 9. Marble scored 10 points off the bench, which tied for the second-most points for the 76ers that night. He added 4 rebounds and 2 assists as well.

That game, his 24 minutes were the most during his time in Las Vegas. He played 12 and three minutes in his first two games, respectively.

Per 40 minutes, Marble’s stat line looks like this: 12.9 points, 3.9 rebounds, and 3 assists.

Before his stint with the 76ers, Marble’s last action was overseas, where he spent time with the Aquila Basket Trento in Italy until the spring of 2017. There, he scored 10.4 points, grabbed 3.2 rebounds, and dished out 2.1 assists per contest.

• Hawkeyes out West in NBA Summer League

Men's Basketball

Iowa basketball’s stat-sheet hero: Luka Garza

Men's Basketball

Leonard trade Spurs’ disappointment

Men's Basketball

All eyes on incoming freshman Joe Wieskamp this basketball season

Men's Basketball

Zuniga: Boston and the Kyrie Irving problem

Men's Basketball

Offseason checkup: Tyler Cook

Men's Basketball

Forecasting men’s basketball’s biggest surprise

Men's Basketball

Men’s basketball prospect Carton announces top-three schools

Men's Basketball

PCP: Which Hawkeye will lead the men’s basketball team in scoring?

Men's Basketball

By the numbers: men’s basketball needs defense

Men's Basketball

Previewing the 2018 NBA Draft