Iowa's Alex Schaake drives during a tournament at the Donald Ross Course at the Cedar Rapids Country Club in Cedar Rapids on Tuesday, Sept. 19, 2017. (Joseph Cress/The Daily Iowan)

Hawkeye golfer Schaake takes home tournament W

Iowa’s Alex Schaake is heading to the U.S. Amateur Championship after a tournament victory.

By Adam Hensley

adam-hensley@uiowa.edu

Hawkeye Alex Schaake is heading to the U.S. Amateur Championship.

The Omaha native won the qualifying tournament in his home state on July 10, shooting a 68 (3 under) in round one and a 64 in round two.

“I played the best I have played this summer,” Schaake said in a release. “I didn’t have any bogeys, which is impressive out here, because you have to drive the ball so well. I was able to make those 6- to 7-foot putts for par when I needed them to keep the round going.”

Schaake trailed by 2 strokes following round one of the tournament, but he lit it up in the second en route to victory. He won by 4 strokes and ended up with 10 birdies on Monday.

Now, the junior will set his sights on the U.S. Amateur, which is held in Pebble Beach, California, from Aug. 13-19.

“The U.S. Amateur is such a historic tournament,” he said in a release. “I’m looking forward to playing such a cool place like Pebble Beach.”

Schaake’s success isn’t coming out of the blue. Last season for the Hawkeyes, he was an All-Big Ten selection during the Big Ten Championships. There, he placed 18th. Schaake also held a team-best 71.88 hole average, the fourth-lowest in program history.

Schaake was also a Division 1 PING All-Midwest Regional selection in 2018.