Briefs: July 9, 2018

Area man charged with 3rd OWI

Authorities have arrested a West Liberty man suspected of operating under the influence.

Samuel Estrada, 28, was charged with third-offense OWI. According to an arrest affidavit, Estrada was pulled over when his vehicle straddled the center line on Highway 1. He was uncooperative with officers, the affidavit said, and was brought to the police station, where he refused sobriety tests but had bloodshot, watery eyes and smelled of alcohol. He also had beer containers in his car. Estrada has had two OWI convictions in the past, the affidavit said.

Third-offense OWI is a Class-D felony.

IC man faces sex-abuse charge

Authorities have request a warrant for an Iowa City man who faces a third-degree sexual-abuse charge.

Charles Henrichs, 21, 18 S. Governor St., was charged with sexual abuse on April 29. According to an affidavit, Henrichs approached a female on the 200 block of Iowa Avenue and sexually abused her without consent. The female hit Henrichs and left the scene. Henrichs denied the incident, the affidavit said, but part of it was recorded on a camera in the area.

Third-degree sexual abuse is a Class-C felony.

St. Louis woman sought in forgery case

Authorities have requested a warrant for a St. Louis woman wanted for forgery.

Sharina Ficklin, 26, was charged with forgery after using a stolen credit card to purchase alcohol at Hy-Vee on Feb. 12, an affidavit said. Ficklin reportedly forged the credit-card owner’s signature.

Forgery is a Class-D felony.

Man charged with burglary

Authorities have taken an Iowa City man suspected of second-degree burglary into custody.

Cory Martin, 35, 5081 American Legion Road, was charged July 6 with second-degree burglary. According to an arrest affidavit, Martin went to a person’s home to try to gain custody of his 10-year-old daughter. The person tried to refuse Martin entry, but he shoved his way in, the affidavit said.

Second-degree burglary is a Class-C felony.

— Katelyn Weisbrod