City Council delays rezoning vote for downtown high-rise again

FILE - Iowa City City Hall is seen on Tuesday, April 18, 2017. (The Daily Iowan/Joseph Cress)

The Daily Iowan; Photos by Josep

The Daily Iowan; Photos by Josep

It looks like it will be at least another month to find out how tall the Pentacrest Garden Apartments project will be.

At its meeting on the night of July 3, the Iowa City City Council deferred its first consideration to rezone 3.41 acres between Burlington and Court Streets known as the Pentacrest Garden Apartments from a high-density multifamily residential to Riverfront Crossing South Downtown subdistrict.

Mayor Jim Throgmorton said the project’s development team requested a deferral until Aug. 7. The councilors discussed the topic but didn’t say how they intended to vote. All of the councilors agreed with the motion to defer until Aug. 7 on a 6-0 vote. Councilor Mazahir Salih was absent. As with any ordinance, the issue will need to be voted on three times to pass.

The councilors have been divided on the issue since the first deferral during the May 15 meeting. The council then moved discussion to the May 29 meeting in which they took an informal vote that resulted 3-3. Salih was absent at that meeting as well.

If the ordinance passes, it would allow the building to reach eight stories with a possibility of an additional seven floors if granted by the city with approval from the Federal Aviation Administration. The current maximum height in the building zone is 35 feet or three stories. The concept that has been submitted has plans to build 15 stories.

A couple members of the community voiced their concerns about who would construct the project, saying a separate project, Rise at Riverfront Crossings, used out of state, nonunion workers to build the complex, and they don’t want the Pentacrest Gardens project to do the same.

RELATED: Downtown Iowa City high-rise apartment set for council vote

Throgmorton said he submitted a memo to the council on June 28 supporting the rezoning in a general sense.

“I also indicated I thought it would be important to consider several possible conditions on rezoning,” he said. “The public has been given a misleading impression on what the majority of the council has intended to do. I see a desire for high-quality urban design that will enable students to mature safely and to thrive academically in whatever buildings are constructed.“

RELATED: Guest Opinion: City councilor speaks out against pushback on downtown high rise

Councilor John Thomas said if the project is pursued, it would be one of the most prominent buildings in Iowa City and he would want it to further the Climate Action Plan.

“It’s also frustrating to me to hear members of the community say that I or any members of the council are opposed to higher density,” he said. “Questions of density done well and carbon-emission reduction are very important issues.”

RELATED: Proposed development sparks City Council debate following rezoning request

Councilor Kingsley Botchway said he wants to hear more student voices when talking about the project.

Gage Miskimen, Editor-in-Chief
Gage Miskimen is the current Editor in Chief at The Daily Iowan. He has worked at the DI all four years of his college career, starting out as a news reporter covering city council and Johnson County supervisors. He founded DI Films his sophomore year, bringing back the DI’s video section with a documentary approach....
  • City Council delays rezoning vote for downtown high-rise again

City Council

Wills set to run for Iowa City City Council

City Council

Ryan Hall launches second bid for Iowa City City Council

City Council

IC City Council special election set for Oct. 2

City Council

City Councilor Botchway resigns to take new position in Waterloo

City Council

Iowa City city councilor selected for job in Waterloo

City Council

Downtown Iowa City high-rise apartment set for council vote

City Council

Proposed development sparks City Council debate following rezoning request

City Council

City Council votes to increase rental-inspection frequency

City Council

New fireworks sales regulations come to Iowa City

City Council

City Council incorporates live streaming into meeting, while focusing on local construction