File photo

Police Briefs: June 21, 2018

Man charged with kidnapping

Authorities have accused an Iowa City man of third-degree kidnapping.

Benjamin Hayes, 38, 859 Longfellow Court, has been taken into custody after police responded to an alleged domestic assault on June 19. According to an arrest affidavit, the woman and her 3-month-old child were visiting Hayes, the child’s father. Hayes became intoxicated, and the woman tried to leave, the affidavit said, but he blocked her from leaving, took the baby from her arms, and fell with the child. The woman took the baby back and tried to leave, but Hayes threatened her with a pocketknife, the affidavit said. The woman called a person who then called police.

Third-degree kidnapping is a Class-C felony.

Woman faces burglary charge

A Coralville woman has been charged with first-degree burglary.

Antonette Flowers, 20, has been taken into custody after allegedly assaulting a male victim, forcing him to jump out a window to escape her, an arrest affidavit said. Flowers followed the man, the affidavit said, and continued to assault him as he attempted to get into a cab.

A no-contact order has been requested. First-degree burglary is a Class-B felony.

Local man receives third possession charge

Authorities have arrested an Iowa City man for allegedly possessing a controlled substance.

Joshua Kelley, 35, 1416 Crescent St., was charged June 19 with third-offense possession of a controlled substance. According to an arrest affidavit, Kelley was pulled over for running a stop sign and driving a motorized bicycle on a sidewalk. Detectives stopped Kelley, the affidavit said, and requested a K9 to search his bag and bicycle, which led to the discovery of a small bag containing a white substance. Kelley told officers was meth.

Third or subsequent possession of a controlled substance is a Class-D felony.

— Katelyn Weisbrod