Women’s basketball loses Martin for 2018-19

The injury bug bit the women’s basketball team last season, and on June 15, the bite continued.
Iowa center Megan Gustafson huddles with teammates before shooting free throws after drawing a foul while making a basket during an Iowa/Purdue women’s basketball game in Carver-Hawkeye Arena on Saturday, Jan. 13, 2018. The Boilermakers defeated the Hawkeyes, 76-70. (Joseph Cress/The Daily Iowan)

By Adam Hensley

The Iowa women’s basketball team will be without one of its incoming freshmen for the 2018-19 season.

Hawkeye Kate Martin will redshirt the season after tearing her ACL and lateral meniscus in her left knee.

According to a release, she will have surgery at the end of June.

Martin was given a 90 scouting grade by ESPN and was also tabbed as a 3-star recruit. She averaged 16.2 points per game in her senior season at Edwardsville, Illinois. She also hit 50.9 percent of her 3-point attempts while boasting a 63.9 field-goal percentage. On the defensive side of the ball, Martin averaged 2.13 steals per contest.

While at Edwardsville, Martin made All-State twice and was named an All-Metro honoree once. The team went to the state semifinals twice in the past two years and finished as the runner-up in 2017.