Baseball Hawkeyes start their summer leagues

Iowa baseball’s season is over, but that doesn’t mean the players are done for the season.
The Daily Iowan; Photos by Katie
Hawkeye infielder, Sophomore Lorenzo Elion, leisurely runs home during the eight run streak of the third inning during Men’s Baseball at Duane Banks Fields on Wednesday Apr. 25, 2018. The Hawkeyes defeated the Panthers 12-4. (Katie Goodale/The Daily Iowan)

With the regular season over, Hawkeye baseball players turn their attention to the summer leagues, playing across the country.

Here’s a rundown of how the top Hawkeyes have been doing recently.

Ben Norman, Harwich Mariners

Harwich has won its last two games, and Norman has played a role in its recent success. The Des Moines native went 3-for-7 in the two wins and stole a base in each game.

With six games under his belt, Norman boasts a .333 batting average. He has 6 hits in 18 at bats.

Cam Baumann, La Crosse Loggers

Baumann has had three starts in his six appearances. The Fairfield native is 2-1 with a 0.47 ERA.

In his 19 innings, Baumann has 23 strikeouts and has given up 14 hits and 5 runs. The sophomore had a season-high 9 strikeouts on June 1 against Eau Claire, then followed that performance up with a 7-strikeout outing against St. Cloud ​— both wins.

Shane Ritter, Fond du Lac Dock Spiders

Ritter earned his first win of the season on June 17 in stellar fashion. He pitched 6 innings in Fond du Lac’s 10-0 win, only allowing 3 hits while striking out 6.

So far this season, Ritter has a 2.25 ERA. He’s pitched 16 innings, allowing 14 hits but striking out 11.

Lorenzo Elion, Terre Haute Rex

Appearing in four games for the Rex, Elion has notched a hit in every contest. In his first two appearances, he finished 2-for-4 and 2-for-5, respectively, then recorded his first home run of the season on June 15 in a 7-4 loss to Springfield.

Elion has a .353 average on the short season.

Justin Jenkins, Terre Haute Rex

Jenkins’ batting has been hit-or-miss so far for the Rex. He’s appeared in 10 games, going hitless in five contests.

At his best, however, Jenkins has been clicking. In a three-game stretch, he recorded two multi-hit games, going 2-for-5 in a win against Lafayette and 3-for-5 in another win against West Virginia.

Kyle Crowl, Quincy Gems

Crowl has a .339 batting average through 15 games, and he’s been a major factor in the Gems’ bats.

The Council Bluffs native has 19 hits, 11 RBIs, and 2 home runs to go along with his average. He’s on a five-game hitting streak, with all but one of those games being multi-hit performances.

Zion Pettigrew, La Crosse Loggers

Pettigrew’s best games came back-to-back in a pair of wins. The sophomore went 3-for-4 in both games with 5 RBIs.

In 15 games, Pettigrew has 16 hits, 9 RBIs, and a .314 average.