March For Our Lives announces tour dates in Iowa

The Daily Iowan; Photo by Ben Allan Smith
A protestor participates in the March for Our Lives protest on Pennsylvania Ave. in Washington D.C. on Saturday, March 24, 2018. The march was held in protest of gun ownership in America as well as the string of mass shootings in schools as of late. (Ben Allan Smith/The Daily Iowan)

The March For Our Lives activist organization has recently announced a youth meet-up and town hall in Cedar Rapids and Marion, respectively. The Cedar Rapids meet-up will take place at Noelridge Park, 4900 Council St., and the Marion town hall will take place in the Linn-Mar High gym, 3111 10th St.

The organization, which garnered national attention this year after a nationwide rally on March 24, strives to prevent gun violence, particularly school shootings. According to its website, March For Our Lives advocates for universal background checks, funds for the CDC for gun violence research, a ban on semiautomatic rifles, a ban on high-capacity magazines, and a searchable database for the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives.

​— Naomi Hofferber