Meet DI health columnist Caroline Woods

The Daily Iowan will run a weekly column this summer answering questions related to community health.

The College of Public Health Building is seen on Thursday, Dec. 14, 2017. (James Year/The Daily Iowan)

Caroline Woods, [email protected]

Hey there, my name is Caroline Woods. I am joining The Daily Iowan to write a regular column on community health. I will be around campus and on the Ped Mall, asking people what public-health issues interest them and what questions they have about health in our community. These questions and answers will serve as inspiration for my weekly columns.

You may be wondering, why should I trust a stranger to answer questions related to community health?

Well, here is my background: I am a current student in the University of Iowa’s Master in Public Health Program. I have also received a degree in exercise science at Iowa State and became a physician assistant at Des Moines University. My career in medicine and health has largely involved work with adolescents and young adults who are attempting to decrease their stress, depression, and/or addictions, and I was inspired to write this column because I believe that if we can each learn more about our health and well-being, collectively, our local community can be happier and healthier.

In order to give you, the reader, the best information possible I need to know what you would be interested in reading more about in this column. Topics to consider include exercising outdoors, practicing mindfulness, the Farmers’ Market, veganism, lawn pesticides, indoor air pollution, injuries in dog parks, and LGBTQ+ health. More compelling topics might include the heroin epidemic, harm-reduction principles, the precautionary principle, elitism in the “aspirational class,” death doulas and green burials, and Yondr.

I also plan to write about my favorite subject: the connection between humans and animals and its influence on our health. The fancy term for this is nature-based therapeutics. Nature-based therapeutics focuses on the role nature and animals can play in advancing the health and well-being of individuals and communities. I became passionate about this when I began learning how animals can play an integral role in our happiness and well-being.

So, if you have a question about community health, please let me know. You can contact me with suggestions, questions, comments, and concerns at [email protected]

• Meet DI health columnist Caroline Woods

Columns

Jaimes: Democrats may find themselves liking the Koch Brothers

Columns

Leonard: LeBron uses his platform to do more than ‘shut up and dribble’

Columns

Kumar: Libraries are more than books

Columns

Jaimes: Haley is right, we shouldn’t ‘own the libs’

Columns

Rosario: We’re missing the point on human trafficking

Columns

Helton: EPA needs a plan that withstands inconsistent politics

Columns

Weigel: Sometimes, no policy is the best policy

Columns

Tambe: With modernization, Indians are moving away from traditional joint families

Columns

Elliot: What’s the matter? Cat got your Godot?

Columns

Shaw: Drug addicts should receive same support, respect as Lovato