Boulton suspends gubernatorial campaign after sexual-misconduct allegations

Former Iowa Democratic gubernatorial candidate Nate Boulton speaks with members of the media during Gov. Reynolds first Condition of the State address in the Iowa State Capitol in Des Moines on Tuesday, Jan. 9, 2018. (File Photo/The Daily Iowan)

One day after three women accused Sen. Nate Boulton of sexual misconduct, the Democratic gubernatorial candidate on May 24 suspended his campaign, fewer than two weeks before the primary election.

Boulton never denied the allegations by the three women, which included his grabbing a woman’s rear in a bar in 2015 and rubbing his clothed erection up against two women nonconsensually approximately 10 years ago. He did apologize for the actions on May 23.

RELATED: 3 women accuse candidate for governor Nate Boulton of sexual misconduct

In a statement from his office issued on the morning of May 24, Boulton stressed the importance of electing a Democrat to be Iowa’s next governor and said he will back the nominee, who could be selected by voters in the June 5 primary.

“We join together to support the nominee and elect Democrats up and down the ticket. I will do all I can to support that mission and will never stop fighting for progressive causes,” Boulton said in the statement.

Five contenders vie for to be the Democratic nominee to face incumbent Republican Gov. Kim Reynolds in November.

RELATED: Who’s who in the 2018 gubernatorial race

Early voting for governor began May 7, and 13,668 Iowans have cast their votes. Secretary of State Paul Pate tweeted that voters cannot change their choice if they have already voted, citing the Iowa Code.

On May 22, Boulton was the runner-up in a poll, with 20 percent of likely Democratic voters supporting him, trailing front-runner Fred Hubbell, who garnered 31 percent.

RELATED: Hubbell leads in fundraising, polls ahead of primary

Here is Boulton’s full statement:

— Katelyn Weisbrod