Guest Opinion: Gubernatorial candidate Glasson will create positive change

The Daily Iowan; Photos by Ben A
Gubernatorial candidate Cathy Glasson speaks to a crowd on the Pentacrest in Iowa City on Saturday, May 5. Glasson is running on a platform that focuses on issues relating to universal healthcare, gun regulations, and equal pay. (Ben Allan Smith/The Daily Iowan)

Cathy Glasson champions causes such as raising the minimum wage and supporting union workers.

If you are like me, you feel overwhelmed by the news out of D.C. and Des Moines. I felt powerless until I met a candidate for governor named Cathy Glasson.

My parents are technologists and longtime union members at the University of Iowa Hospitals & Clinics. They chose the UIHC partly so my siblings and I could get great health care. However, time and again, former Gov. Terry Branstad made promises on the campaign trail, then turned around and slashed benefits. The gutting of collective-bargaining rights during the last legislative cycle was the final straw. I knew that this year something had to change. We cannot elect Branstad 2.0.

RELATED: Who’s who in the 2018 gubernatorial race

I was uninspired by the choices until I met Cathy. The first time I heard her speak, I knew she was the real deal. I am impressed by her background as an intensive-care-unit nurse and a union organizer, and her vociferous support of issues such as the $15 minimum wage and universal health care. Most importantly, she inspires young and old to get off the couch and make change happen.

We need something new — not the same tired, old tactics. Iowans are hungry for change, and they need someone with fire, not a bland political insider. That is why I’m supporting Cathy Glasson for governor and encourage you to support her on June 5.

— Rebecca Barrett

Iowa City

RELATED: Guest opinion: Glasson will stand up to big money