UI placed second in the Big Ten in RecycleMania 2018

George McCrory of the Sustainability program at Iowa places a leaf on one of the branches. Leaves mark a pledge for an indidivual to do their part improving their recycling habit, in the Sustainability Office in Iowa City, Iowa on Tuesday, Feb. 14, 2017. Recylemania is an national competition which encourages universities to promote and take action in recycling. (The Daily Iowan/Anthony Vazquez)

This winter/spring, the University of Iowa has taken part in RecycleMania, a national competition encouraging colleges in the United States and Canada to promote recycling and minimize their waste production. The UI placed second in the Big Ten and 37th among the more than 300 colleges that participated.

The College of Staten Island placed first. Rutgers placed first in the Big Ten.

During the competition, the UI diverted 49 percent of its waste from the landfill through recycling and composting, according to a press release from the UI Office of Sustainability. The competition took place Feb. 4 through March 31.

Events to promote recycling and composting included a recycling pledge drive, a reusable mug giveaway, and a waste audit. More than 1,500 students, faculty, and staff participated.

“Each week, random winners were awarded gift cards and reusable mugs,” the release said. “Buildings and residence halls with the most participants each week won RecycleMania trophies.”

The UI placed second in the Big Ten during RecycleMania 2016. The waste-diversion rate was slightly up from 46 percent in 2016, the release said.

“RecycleMania has become a great tool to help spread recycling awareness and improve implementation of recycling programs on campus,” the release said.

The UI aims to reach a goal of 60 percent waste diversion by 2020 through RecycleMania and other programs on campus.

— Aadit Tambe

• UI placed second in the Big Ten in RecycleMania 2018

Grant expands UI winter course on India water poverty

UI Water Plant to target nitrate with reverse osmosis

Former UI staffer used university money to make personal purchases

Labs from UI, Texas share credit for simultaneous genetic discovery

Business Leaders in Christ reinstated on campus after discrimination complaint

Defunding forces UI to close seven centers

UISG lease-gap program to give students housing in between leases

UI alum faces unknown future due to immigration laws

UI closing several centers following state budget cuts

For 16K annually, UI highlights students’ achievements