Iowa City and Coralville public libraries partner with Kanopy to make video streaming possible

Joseph McKenna stands in the fiction section of the Iowa City Public Library earlier this year. The library was established in 1896. (The Daily Iowan/Olivia Sun)

As a part of their initiative to make services more accessible to community members, the Iowa City and Coralville Public Libraries announced that area residents will now be able to stream video content online.

Residents of Johnson County cities — including Iowa City, Coralville, Hills, Lone Tree, and University Heights — can use the service.

Kanopy, a free video-streaming service, has partnered with the two public libraries to make the service available.

The video platform has more than 30,000 films including documentaries, independent films, classics, international movies, and educational videos, said a media release from the Iowa City Public Library.

Users can stream eight movies a month, create watch lists, share films on social media, among other services, the release said. Kanopy is available on iOS, Android, and Roku platforms.

Users will have to create a login for the website and then add their library cards to activate the service.

— Aadit Tambe

• Iowa City and Coralville public libraries partner with Kanopy to make video streaming possible

New Graduate Hotel showcases Iowa City’s best

Takanami to close, location to become Mexican restaurant

Word on the sidewalk is sales, sales, sales

Raygun to replace Coldstone downtown Iowa City

Downtown Block Party brings 42,000 attendees in second year

Downtown Block Party comes roaring back to Iowa City

CHOMP looks to expand services, collaborate with local retailers

Local business development, community art on the horizon for downtown Iowa City

Iowa libraries take action for Puerto Rico

Gamers, console yourselves: Video-game café heads to Iowa City