Joseph McKenna stands in the fiction section of the Iowa City Public Library earlier this year. The library was established in 1896. (The Daily Iowan/Olivia Sun)

Iowa City and Coralville public libraries partner with Kanopy to make video streaming possible

As a part of their initiative to make services more accessible to community members, the Iowa City and Coralville Public Libraries announced that area residents will now be able to stream video content online.

Residents of Johnson County cities — including Iowa City, Coralville, Hills, Lone Tree, and University Heights — can use the service.

Kanopy, a free video-streaming service, has partnered with the two public libraries to make the service available.

The video platform has more than 30,000 films including documentaries, independent films, classics, international movies, and educational videos, said a media release from the Iowa City Public Library.

Users can stream eight movies a month, create watch lists, share films on social media, among other services, the release said. Kanopy is available on iOS, Android, and Roku platforms.

Users will have to create a login for the website and then add their library cards to activate the service.

— Aadit Tambe