Farmers’ Market grand reopening tonight

Sidney Peterson
The Chauncey Building is currently under construction on Tuesday, May 1, 2018. The construction will continue as the Iowa City Farmer’s Market commences for the season.

The Iowa City Farmers’ Market will open for the season today. The market traditionally occurs Wednesdays and Saturdays from May until October in the Chauncey Swan parking ramp. This year, the market will be a neighbor to the construction on the Chauncey project.

Juli Seydell Johnson, the city’s director of Parks and Recreation, said the market won’t be affected by the construction, and it shouldn’t create a huge effect on the market. There might be a different layout next year, she said, because the entrance to the new building comes through the south end of the parking ramp, where the market is traditionally held.

Simon Andrew, the assistant to the city manager, said in an email to The Daily Iowan that the vast amount of construction going on throughout the city was necessary, especially because many projects will provide housing. The projects will help reduce the increasing housing costs that have taken hold because of population growth, he said.