Dan Reed, former UI administrator, headed to University of Utah

(University of Iowa)

Dan Reed, former University of Iowa vice president for Research and Economic Development, is headed to Utah for another administrative opportunity.

Reed will officially become the University of Utah’s Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs on July 1.

Originally, in 2017, the UI announced that Reed would step down “due to a recent health event as contributing to his decision.” John Keller, dean of the Graduate College, has been filling the role on an interim basis since Oct. 1, 2017.

In Tuesday’s announcement, UI President Bruce Harreld wrote, “Dan stepped down from the position in the fall to focus on national research and competitiveness policy and developing new directions in computer and computational science.”

RELATED: The status of (many) ongoing searches for new UI administrators

Harreld acknowledged Reed’s accomplishments and skills that he contributed while working in his former position.

“He made it his mission to expand and highlight the great work of our research community and I know he will have a positive impact in Utah.

Faculty members David Gier and Aliasger Salem are co-chairs of the search committee tasked with finding a replacement.

Recommendations for changes to the structure of the Office of the Vice President for Research and Economic Development are being considered as the committee looks to select a new leader for the office. 

-Natalie Betz