Josh Jackson selected by Green Bay Packers in NFL Draft

Josh Jackson’s wait for an NFL team is officially over.
Iowa cornerback Josh Jackson makes a jumping one handed interception during Iowa’s game against Ohio State at Kinnick Stadium on Saturday, Nov. 4, 2017. Jackson made three interceptions on the day as the Hawkeyes defeated the Buckeyes, 55-24. (Nick Rohlman/The Daily Iowan)

Josh Jackson is finally off the board.

After being expected by many to go in the first round of the 2018 NFL Draft, Jackson was selected with the 13th pick in the second round (No. 45 overall) by the Green Bay Packers.

The former Hawkeye cornerback was ranked as ESPN’s No. 4 cornerback prospect and was named the 27th-best overall prospect.

Jackson stands 6-0 and weighs in at 196 pounds. NFL.com gave the Corinth, Texas, native a draft grade of 6.00.

Jackson’s biggest knocks are his long speed (4.56 second 40-yard dash at NFL Combine) and that he only has one season as a starter under his belt. Still, his stats and film speak for themselves.

His ball skills are among the best in the draft, as evidenced by his NCAA-leading 8 interceptions and 27 passes defended.

NFL analyst Lance Zierlein addressed Jackson’s strengths and weaknesses before the draft on NFL.com, saying he could be a starter early in his professional career.

“Long-armed ball-hawk who understands how to maximize his length to disrupt the catch and take it away,” Zierlein wrote. “Jackson could be labeled a ‘one-year wonder,’ but 27 passes defensed in a single season isn’t random. He’s talented but inexperienced, and he has coverage holes that could be exploited early in his career. Jackson’s draft stock likely took a hit with his average 40 time and unimpressive work in position drills. However, he is armed with route anticipation, ball skills, and NFL length that teams covet in a press-man corner. It may take time, but the tools are there to be an early starter.”

Jackson joins a rotating Green Bay secondary containing cornerbacks Jaire Alexander (drafted No. 18 overall), Tramon Williams, Kevin King, Quinten Rollins, and Josh Hawkins, who will be his main competition when training camp opens.

Jackson is added to a Packer roster that includes former Hawkeyes Mike Daniels and Bryan Bulaga.