ICDocs returns for its 15th year, celebrating student filmmakers

File photo/The Daily Iowan

ICDocs is a festival put on by University of Iowa students that features 34 nonfiction short films and two screenings featuring work by two Canadian professional filmmakers, Jean-Paul Kelly and Alison S.M. Kobayashi.

The festival will split screenings between Adler and FilmScene, 118 E. College St. Screenings will take place today through Saturday and will conclude with an awards party at 8:15 p.m. Saturday.

The festival is now in its 15th year and hopes to continue introducing local audiences to nonfiction filmmaking. The short films being judged must be fewer than 30 minutes and embody progressive nonfiction filmmaking technique.

“You have a narrow and exciting window of opportunity through festivals to see the best and most exciting work that is being made in film, and ICDocs is no exception,” filmmaker Jason Livingston, a former ICDocs director, said in a press release.

The judges, Kelly and Kobayashi, both have an expertise in nonfiction, short-film production. Kelly received many awards and national attention following the 2014 production The Innocents.

Kobayashi’s most recent work, “Music is Magic,” is a 14-minute piece that was released in 2016. The artist has a large collection of short nonfiction films that have risen in popularity after 2012.