Park Road Bridge will close after May 28

Thomas A. Stewart

Iowa City released a new update about Iowa City Gateway Project. Park Road Bridge, which spans the Iowa River from Dubuque Street to the City Park area, will close later this spring. According to the city press release, the temporary closing will last approximately two months.

The release stated the Iowa City Gateway Project is a flood-mitigation effort, which includes two major parts: one to elevate Dubuque Street, the other one is to build a higher Park Road Bridge.

The closing will allow workers to complete the construction on Dubuque Street and to connect both side roads with the new bridge. Workers will also demolish the existing Park Road Bridge, the release said.

During the bridge closing, the release said, Park Road from Riverside Drive will still remain open. Drivers can access both Upper City Park and City Park Pool from the west as usual, but there will be a temporary road for drivers to access Lower City Park during the construction.

For now, Iowa City officials are still looking for the specific time for the bridge to close, but it will happen after May 28. More information on the bridge closing will not be released until May.

Detour routes for pedestrians and drivers will also be posted once the information is available.