The Old Capitol is seen on Thursday, Nov. 30, 2017. (Lily Smith/The Daily Iowan)

The University of Iowa hops on the Common App

The UI will give its applicants the ability to apply through the Common Application starting in the fall.

By Aadit Tambe

aadit-tambe@uiowa.edu

The University of Iowa will give applicants the option of applying for college through The Common Application, starting academic year 2018-2019.

The Common App is an online application program used by over 700 colleges in the United States for undergraduate admissions.

“By becoming a Common App member, the University of Iowa will gain exposure to students who may not have otherwise considered the institution while making the application, including fee waiver, process more efficient,” a press release from the Common Application said.

Students can apply to the University of Iowa, in addition to numerous other schools using Common App.

Common App provides students with 24-hour assistance and connects applicants to financial aid and scholarship tools, a digital portfolio, and virtual mentors and counselors, the release said.

Furthermore, it provides many useful resources to counselors and advisers, and students have the option of completing their application, with Spanish language translations, the release said.

“As an investment into college access, the University of Iowa is excited to join the Common App,” Jeffrey Waechter, director of operations at the UI Admissions & Entrollment Office, said in the press release. “Financial aid is challenging for students in general, and the Common App integrates financial aid information right within the application. Additionally, the Common App’s one-step, need-based fee waiver simplifies the process for applicants.”

Starting 2018, the Common Application will introduce Common App for transfer, an application tailored to meet requirements of transfer students.