Gilman falls, but USA downs Japan, 7-3

After losing its first three matches, Team USA turned it around with an impressive run of tech falls.
The Daily Iowan; Photos by Ben A
America’s Thomas Gilman (red) competes against Yuki Takahashi (blue) of Japan in a 57 kg bout during the 2018 Men’s Freestyle World Cup at Carver-Hawkeye Arena on Saturday, April 7. (Ben Allan Smith/The Daily Iowan)

Entering to “Back in Black” by AC/DC — a Hawkeye anthem — the stage was set for Thomas Gilman in the wrestling World Cup in Carver-Hawkeye on April 7.

After winning his first match of the day by forfeit, the Council Bluffs native faced the task of Yuki Takahashi, the man who beat Gilman in the gold-medal match at the 2017 World Championships.

Even though he led in the first period, Gilman fell to Takahashi, 4-1, but Team USA beat Japan, 7-3.

Gilman’s early point for passivity gave him the lead heading into the 30-second break and a near takedown almost extended his lead, but he couldn’t finish the job.

Takahashi then nearly got a point for pushing Gilman out of bounds, but the former Iowa grappler held his ground to preserve his lead.

Takahashi scored a takedown and then got more 2 points when he countered another near takedown from Gilman.

After losing 6-0 to Takahashi at the World Championships, Gilman took a step in the right direction with his performance.

“Tactically, it was a better match than the World Championships,” Gilman said. “We’re not talking moral victories, but we’re talking improvement, being positive … I dictated the whole match; he’s a counter wrestler. At the World Championships, he scored on all my attacks on counters, and that’s what he did today, too.”

The United States proceeded to lose two more matches, as Kendric Maple had a last-second takedown reversed and lost by criteria, while Logan Stieber lost, 10-5, at 65 kilograms.

The Americans finally found some life at 70 kg when James Green got off to a fast start with a takedown in the first minute and a 4-point score in the same period.

As the crowd got into it, Green kept it going with another 2 points before Kirin Kinoshita attempted a comeback by rattling off 5-straight points. But the comeback faltered, as Green picked up the first win against Japan for Team USA.

There was a scare in the very next match, though, as four-time world champion Jordan Burroughs was down on the mat in the first period being attended to by trainers.

The pain didn’t last long apparently, as Burroughs racked up 3 takedowns in a row when the clock started ticking again to earn the victory.

Burroughs and Green are members of the Nebraska Wrestling Training Club and because they are familiar with each other, Burroughs knew Green would get the job done and start the run.

“James is a beast; I always count on him to win,” Burroughs said. “I’m very proud of every guy in this lineup, but I don’t get to see them every day. I see James every day, and I know the hard work that he’s putting in, so I can always vouch for him.”

Momentum carried after the 7-1 win, as Kyle Dake picked up the first technical fall of the dual for Team USA, 10-0, using two powerful takedowns. After Sohsuke Takatani hesitated to return to the center of the mat following the loss, Dake got the crowd pumped to a new level.

After Dake’s triumph, the entire back half of the American lineup kept the parade of tech falls coming, as David Taylor, J’den Cox, Kyle Snyder, and Nick Gwiazdowski all picked up double-digit victories in the onslaught.

After losing three-straight matches in the beginning, Team USA turned it around in convincing fashion, surrendering only 2 points in the final five matches.

“I think it’s just about going out and wrestling to the best of your ability, being active, and being aggressive,” Team USA coach Bill Zadick said. “Looking for opportunities and being willing to take some chances and get after it.”

The United States, now 2-0, has Georgia on the docket at 10 a.m. April 8.

[masterslider id=”303″]