Hawkeye women’s tennis tries to get back to .500

David Harmantas/The Daily Iowan
Iowa tennis player Yufei Long lunges for the ball during a match against Marquette University on Sunday, Feb. 25, 2018 at the Hawkeye Tennis Complex. Iowa swept the match and Long won her match 6-1, 6-4. (David Harmantas/The Daily Iowan)

For the first time the season, the Hawkeye women’s tennis team has more losses than victories. At 9-10, Iowa will try to get back in the W column when it continues its five-match road trip against Maryland (noon Saturday) and Rutgers (11 a.m. April 8) on the road.

It won’t be easy for the Hawkeyes. Iowa is undergoing its toughest stretch of the season, and star freshman Yufei Long is unlikely to return for the rest of the season, head coach Sasha Schmid said.

“It’s unlikely that she will play,” said Schmid. “It’s obviously a setback, and we are going to have to regroup.”

Iowa needs to refocus now more than ever. Not only are the Hawkeyes riddled with injuries, they are on a four-game losing skid. The Hawkeyes also don’t have history on their side; Maryland leads the all-time series 3-0. The Hawkeyes are 1-0 in their only meeting with Rutgers (2015), neither of which probably means anything, given the notorious small sample size.

“I’m really proud on the way we’re trying to handle adversity,” Schmid said. “I think it’s really important to stay positive and have a good week of practice so we can regain some confidence from the week, if not from the matches.”

Schmid will send out No. 47-ranked sophomore Elise van Heuvelen and senior Anastasia Reimchen to take the lead in doubles. The duo have posted a 7-2 record while playing as Iowa’s top doubles squad.

RELATED: Women’s tennis falls twice in Indiana

The two were a lone bright spot last week, securing wins against Indiana and Purdue. Heading into this week’s matchup, van Heuvelen has gained plenty of confidence working on her service returns in preparation for the Terrapins and Scarlet Knights.

“I think we’ve got a lot of confidence from the last couple of matches,” she said. “We’ve been doing well and feeling pretty good through them and in practice.”

One Hawkeye who could use some confidence right now is senior captain Zoe Douglas, who is suffering through an eight-match losing streak. Although she hasn’t had much success in singles recently, she has won two straight in doubles with partner Adorabol Huckleby. If Douglas can break her losing streak in singles, the Hawkeyes might also have a chance to end theirs against the Terrapins.

Following the matches from this weekend, the Hawkeyes will close their five-game road trip against Nebraska at 11 a.m. April 14.