Corbett off June 5 ballot

The Daily Iowan; Photos by Josep
Cedar Rapids Mayor Ron Corbett poses for a portrait on Tuesday, July 11, 2017. Corbett calls himself an underdog in the 2018 Iowa Republican primary for governor. (Joseph Cress/The Daily Iowan)

Cedar Rapids Mayor Ron Corbett, a Republican candidate in the 2018 gubernatorial race, will not be on the June 5 ballot.

After falling eight names short of the 4,005 signatures required to be placed on the ballot, the State Objection Panel voted 2-1 on Mar. 27 to reject Corbett’s paperwork. Corbett’s attorneys argued that the crossed-off signatures that state officials found to be duplicates should still be counted.

RELATED: Corbett says he feels prepared to handle crises after flood devastation

Corbett said after the hearing that he will consider his options in the coming days. These options could include a lawsuit to put him on the ballot, but Corbett did not comment on whether or not that was the plan.

“Sometimes, the scoreboard of life doesn’t fall in your favor,” Corbett said. “Today, that was the case for me.”

-By Madeleine Neal