Lee wins NCAA title

At just 19 years old, Spencer Lee has earned his first national title.

Iowa's Spencer Lee defeats Rutgers's Nick Suriano in the 125-pound final bout of the NCAA Wrestling Championships in Cleveland, OH. Lee beat Suriano by decision, 5-1. This is Lee's first national title. (Ben Allan Smith/The Daily Iowan)

The Daily Iowan; Photo by Ben Al

The Daily Iowan; Photo by Ben Al

Pete Ruden, [email protected]

CLEVELAND — In just his true freshman season, Spencer Lee is an NCAA champion.

Lee picked up his gold medal by beating Nick Suriano of Rutgers, 5-1, in the finals at the NCAA Championships on March 17.

It was nearly a scoreless first period, but Lee got in on Suriano, and despite almost letting him get free, secured the 2 points with just under five seconds remaining in the period.

Lee gained a point for an escape in the second and put the match on ice with another takedown in the third.

“I don’t know if it’s really set in,” Lee said. “I got to hug my teammates and my family. That was an awesome feeling. I got the best teammates in the world. And Kemerer, and Sorensen, and Marinelli, they’re great leaders, and I can name the whole team. They did a good job of making me believe in myself, and I think that’s why I’m here.”

The win caps an incredible run for Lee, who scored bonus points in every match except the finals. On his way to gold, Lee defeated Chatanooga’s Alonzo Allen (tech fall at 1:41), Purdue’s Luke Welch (tech fall at 3:59), Oklahoma State’s Nicholas Piccininni (pin at 3:58), and Ohio State’s Nathan Tomasello (pin at 6:05).

Pete Ruden, Sports Editor
Pete Ruden is the Sports Editor at the DI, where he has worked since the beginning of his college career. He has covered a variety of sports at the DI, including football, men’s basketball, baseball, wrestling, and men’s tennis. Currently a junior, he served as a sports reporter his freshman year, before becoming the Assistant Sports Editor his...
  • Lee wins NCAA title

Sports

Iowa volleyball opens up Big Ten play with win

• Lee wins NCAA title

Baseball

Iowa shortstop Kyle Crowl leaves Hawkeye baseball

• Lee wins NCAA title

Iowa vs. Wisconsin: A Battle for the West

• Lee wins NCAA title

A look back at the best of Kinnick Stadium under the lights

• Lee wins NCAA title

Sports

Iowa volleyball set for Big Ten weekend

• Lee wins NCAA title

Baseball

Iowa baseball crushes Southeastern in fall ball opener

• Lee wins NCAA title

Soccer

Hawkeye soccer ties Purdue, looks forward to Indiana

• Lee wins NCAA title

Field Hockey

Iowa field hockey prepares to battle ranked opponents

• Lee wins NCAA title

Hawkeye Nick Niemann embraces football family

• Lee wins NCAA title

On The Line – Week 4