Iowa clinches third place at NCAAs

The Daily Iowan; Photo by Ben Al
Michigan’s Alec Pantaleo, middle, chooses the down position against Iowa’s Micheal Kemerer in a 157-pound bout during Session 5 of the NCAA Wrestling Championships at Quicken Loans Arena in Cleveland, OH on Saturday, March 17, 2018. Kemerer went on to defeat Pantaleo by decision, 6-1. (Ben Allan Smith/The Daily Iowan)

CLEVELAND — The Iowa wrestling team clinched a third-place finish at the NCAA Championships in Session 5 on March 17. Iowa had four finishers in the session, two fifths, a fourth, and a sixth. Iowa’s last match will be the 125-pound finale between Spencer Lee and Rutgers’ Nick Suriano. [Update: Lee won, which didn’t affect on Iowa’s finish as a team.]

149 — Brandon Sorensen vs. Matthew Kolodzik (Princeton)

Kolodzik ended Sorensen’s hopes for third place in the morning with a 7-3 decision. Kolodzik had a takedown in the first and 2 more in the third.

Sorensen vs. Grant Leeth (Missouri)

In his final match in black and gold, Iowa’s Brandon Sorensen walked away with a win. Sorensen used a takedown in the first, an escape in the second, and plenty of riding time to earn a 4-0 decision over Missouri’s Leeth.

Sorensen finished fifth at the tournament, capping an illustrious career. The four-time All-American has ended his seasons at Iowa in fourth, second, third, and fifth in the nation.

157 — Michael Kemerer vs. Alec Pantaleo (Michigan)

Kemerer won a 6-1 decision over Michigan’s Big Ten Champion. Kemerer tagged a takedown in the first and third to topple Pantaleo.

The win helped fend Michigan off in the team race.

Kemerer vs. Tyler Berger (Nebraska)

Michael Kemerer took a shot at Berger with 1:38 left in the first period and landed hard on his left arm. Iowa’s 157-pounder immediately grabbed it and Iowa’s medical staff was called in. He started wrestling again, but the first contact ended Kemerer’s hopes of a bronze medal in his sophomore campaign.

Kemerer injury defaulted to fourth place, capping his season with a 26-3 record.

165 — Alex Marinelli vs. Evan Wick (Wisconsin)

Wick won a 16-3 major decision over Marinelli. Wick had 2 takedowns and locked up two cradles in the second period for 4-point near falls to drown the Hawkeye.

Marinelli vs. David McFadden (Virginia Tech)

Virginia Tech’s No. 2 seed McFadden ended Marinelli’s season with a pin in the third period.

The pair traded takedowns in the first, but McFadden’s came as time expired for his 3-2 lead going into the second period. The pair went into the third, where Marinelli started down, and McFadden got him for the fall in 5:14.

Marinelli will stand in sixth place when the medalists are honored.

285 — Sam Stoll vs. Jacob Kasper (Duke)

Stoll lost the Hawkeyes a team point after he was pinned by Duke’s Kasper. Kasper took Stoll feet-to-back in a headlock for the pin in 1:27.

After the loss, Stoll threw his ankle bands at Kasper, and the officials were not fond of the extracurricular conduct.

Stoll vs. Mike Hughes (Hofstra)

Stoll capped his season the way he wanted to: by fall. The junior scored a takedown over Hughes of early in the first period, then added a tilt and pin to secure the win in 1:23.

Stoll’s win mathematically sealed third place for Iowa, improving on its fourth-place finish from last year.

Updated Team Standings

1. Ohio State — 130.5
  2. Penn State — 124.5
  3. Iowa — 93
  4. Michigan — 80
  5. North Carolina State — 76