In the gun-control debate, what’s the priority: safety or freedom?

Marissa Payne, [email protected]

Iowa politicians at the federal and state level are encouraging people to “See Something, Say Something” to prevent gun violence.

In February, Gov. Kim Reynolds announced a campaign in which Iowa agencies, including the Departments of Homeland Security, Emergency Management, and Public Safety, will partner to educate people about the importance of reporting suspicious activity.

Reports emerged after the shooting in Parkland, Florida, that before the shooting, the FBI received tips that it failed to properly act upon. On two separate occasions, the agency received tips that Nikolas Cruz, the alleged shooter, desired to carry out a shooting, had violent tendencies, and could access a firearm.

“There are things we all can do to increase the safety of our communities, state and nation,” Reynolds said in a statement. “We are asking all Iowans to pay attention to their surroundings, and if they see something that looks suspicious, to report it to local law enforcement or call 911.”

RELATED: Thoughts and prayers once again after Parkland shooting. Now what?

Iowa City police Sgt. Derek Frank said there are no specific instructions that have been communicated to the police with the campaign, but the officers continue to take every call seriously and don’t ignore any tips.

“One of the things that we always say … is that things don’t get better on their own,” he said. “If somebody doesn’t intervene in some way, then don’t expect for this violent person to just stop or get better on their own.”

It’s possible to predict violence, Iowa State University psychology Professor Douglas Gentile said, but there are numerous causes that people don’t recognize when factors such as mental health are used in isolation to explain why a person committed an act of violence. This makes it hard for someone to see when they need to be treated for mental health, he said.

“By linking mental health with things like mass murders, that makes people think, ‘Oh, that’s the line,’ ” he said.

This line of thinking is harmful to finding productive solutions through legislation or other means, Gentile said.

“The problem is after something that we can’t explain like a terrible tragedy, we always want some certainty like a single reason,” he said. “We need to broaden that thinking if we want the answers to actually start being more effective.”

RELATED: Iowa City students and community respond to Parkland mass shooting

With these connections being made between aggression and mental illness, Frank said he hopes people aren’t quick to stigmatize those dealing with mental illnesses.

“I would hope that everybody wouldn’t attach the label of violence to anybody that has mental illness,” he said. “I think we’re trying to get to a day and an age where people could talk to mental illness just as they talk about physical illness.”

Gentile said policy is a matter of balancing certain interests, whether that be the safety of the country’s citizens or the gun lobby. There’s not going to be a solution that everyone likes, he said, but it’s a matter of putting safety above certain freedoms.

Marissa Payne, Managing Editor
Email: [email protected] Twitter: @marissa42_ Marissa Payne is the Managing Editor of The Daily Iowan. She started working at the DI her freshman year as a news reporter covering the UI administration and Iowa Board of Regents, and also as a page designer. Additionally, she has served as News Editor and Digital Editor. During her sophomore year,...
  • In the gun-control debate, what’s the priority: safety or freedom?

Former Iowa Finance Authority director found to have sexually harassed employees, report says

Senate Judiciary Committee to take Kavanaugh allegations ‘step by step’

Rep. Bobby Kaufmann highlights cannabis, bipartisanship in run for fourth term

Local Politics

Iowa Sen. Kevin Kinney looks to help agriculture with hemp production in seeking reelection,

Grassley announces public hearing in light of sexual-assault allegations against Kavanaugh

Local Politics

Democrat leaders urge supporters to ramp up the energy ahead of Election Day

Iowa Supreme Court hears Dakota Access Pipeline case

Dueling views on Medicaid shape race for Iowa governor

DITV

DITV: Tariffs impacting Iowa farmers

Iowa soybean farmers feeling the heat of tariffs