What happened, what’s next: Big Ten Championships Session 2

Nine of Iowa’s 10 wrestlers are going to Cleveland for the NCAAs, but only one qualified for the finals at the Big Ten Championships: Brandon Sorensen.
The Daily Iowan; Photos by Ben Allan Smith
Iowa’s 149-pound Brandon Sorensen wrestles Northwestern’s Ryan Deakin during Big Ten Wrestling Championships Day 1 at the Breslin Student Events Center in East Lansing, MI on Saturday, Mar. 3, 2018. Sorensen won by decision, 7-2. (Ben Allan Smith/The Daily Iowan)

EAST LANSING, Mich. — As disappointing as Session 1 had to have been for the Hawkeyes, Session 2 was worse.

Of the four semifinalists Iowa had to compete, only one made his way to the finals: Brandon Sorensen topped Northwestern’s Ryan Neakin to punch his ticket.

Even though the rest were sent to the consolation bracket, the Hawkeyes have nine of their 10 athletes going to Cleveland for the NCAAs.

“You feel like you’re fighting for scraps, but you’re not,” Iowa head coach Tom Brands said. “You’re fighting for future positioning; you’re fighting for tomorrow.”

Here’s what happened and what’s next:

Semifinals

Spencer Lee vs. Nathan Tomasello, Ohio State

In their first meeting, Lee beat then-No. 1 Tomasello, 3-2. But he couldn’t come out on top in their second meeting; Tomasello scored a takedown with under 30 seconds left to keep Lee from seeing the Big Ten finals in his freshman season. After two scoreless periods, the roof was ready to come off the Breslin Center, and that’s exactly what happened in the final period. The loss is Lee’s second of the season and moves him to the semifinals of the consolation bracket. No. 1 seed Nick Suriano of Rutgers forfeited his match, allowing Ethan Lizak into the finals. Lee beat Lizak, 15-0, when the two met on Feb. 2. Lee is now faced with Sebastian Rivera of Northwestern.

Sorensen vs. Ryan Deakin, Northwestern

The only Hawkeye to make it to the finals, Sorensen did it in convincing fashion. With more offense than usual, the Cedar Falls native scored a takedown late in the second period before scoring 2 more takedowns and an escape in the third to secure a rematch with Penn State’s Zain Retherford — a familiar foe of Sorensen’s — in the finals.

Michael Kemerer vs. Micah Jordan, Ohio State

Before Kemerer wrestled in the semis, officials announced that Penn State’s second-seeded Jason Nolf would forfeit the rest of the tournament for medical reasons, seemingly clearing the way for a Kemerer gold medal. But that’s not what happened. Heading into the third period with a 1-0 lead, Kemerer was sent to his back, where he was pinned by Jordan with 1:12 remaining. He will take on Wisconsin’s Andrew Crone in the wrestle-back semifinals.

Sam Stoll vs. Adam Coon, Michigan

Stoll’s match with Coon did not last long. After falling down 4-1, Coon pinned the junior 2:12 to end Stoll’s hopes of making the finals. Stoll will take on Northwestern’s Conan Jennings on March 4.

Consolations Round 2

Vince Turk vs. Sal Profaci, Michigan

Turk kicked off his first battle in the consolation bracket with a takedown, and that was enough to get the win. Profaci and Turk both got escapes in the next two periods, and Turk emerged victorious, 3-1.

Alex Marinelli vs. Te’Shan Campbell, Ohio State

The second-seeded Marinelli bounced back after his upset in the quarterfinals by beating Campbell, 9-3. Marinelli used a takedown in each period and a reversal in the third to get the job done.

Joey Gunther vs. Logan Ritchie, Michigan State

A stalling call with under 20 seconds left gave Gunther a 2-1 win over the Spartan Ritchie. It might have been Gunther’s second overtime match of the day, but he survived without the sudden-victory period. With seven 174-pounders from the Big Ten receiving an automatic bid to nationals, Gunther was left needing one more win to secure his spot in Cleveland.

Mitch Bowman vs. Nick Gravina, Rutgers

Bowman narrowly escaped defeat and exclusion from the tournament with a third-period escape to send his match to sudden victory. The Donahue, Iowa, native took advantage of his extra time, scoring a takedown on Gravina to preserve his time in East Lansing.

Cash Wilcke vs. David-Brian Whisler, Maryland

There were numerous blood timeouts, but Wilcke prevailed over the Terrapin to keep Iowa undefeated in Round Two of the wrestle-backs. A takedown, reversal, and escape got the job done for the No. 3 seed.

Consolations Round 3

Turk v. Chad Red, Nebraska

Turk used two first-period takedowns to make his way into the top six at 141 pounds. He has a tough task March 4, though, with No. 2 seed Nick Lee of Penn State on the docket.

Marinelli vs. Nick Wanzek, Minnesota

After getting upset by Logan Massa in his first match of the day, Marinelli fought back by winning two-consecutive matches to secure a spot in the top six. On March 4, he has Richie Lewis of Rutgers on his plate, whom he beat 3-2 at Midlands.

Gunther vs. Devin Skatzka, Indiana

Gunther had a day full of close matches, but he kept winning. Gunther came out on top in two matches that needed at least one tiebreaker period to determine a winner and came out victorious in another close match in the wrestle-backs, 2-1. After beating Skatzka in the first tiebreaker period, he punched his ticket to Cleveland at 174 pounds. His winning streak will be tested March 4 against Northwestern’s Johnny Sebastian.

Bowman vs. Brandon Krone, Minnesota

Krone scored three first-period takedowns to put Bowman in a 6-0 hole that was too much to overcome. After losing his second match of the day, Bowman will wrestle for seventh against No. 7 seed Ricky Robertson of Wisconsin.

Wilcke vs. Zack Chakonis, Northwestern

Wilcke moved into the top six at 197 pounds with a clutch 4-2 win over Chakonis. He picked up a takedown with just over 20 seconds left in the match and got a penalty point to win 4-2. He has Michigan’s Kevin Beazley in the wrestle-back semifinals March 4.

Update Team Scores

1. Ohio State — 137.5
  2. Penn State — 124
  3. Michigan — 100
  4. Iowa — 78
  5. Minnesota — 57
  6. Nebraska — 54
  7. Illinois — 53
  8. Wisconsin — 50.5
  9. Northwestern — 48
  10. Purdue — 45.5
  11. Rutgers — 37
  12. Maryland — 27.5
  13. Indiana — 10
  14. Michigan State — 8.5