Free Wi-Fi service coming to Ped Mall

The Daily Iowan; Photos by James
The Iowa City Ped Mall as seen on Friday, July 28, 2017. Plans are currently underway to update existing infrastructure to provide better accommodations for concerts and other events. (James Year/Daily Iowan)

ImOn Communications is starting up a free Wi-Fi service in Iowa City’s Ped Mall.

In a partnership between ImOn Communications and the Iowa City Downtown District, the service will cover the Ped Mall between S. Clinton St. and S. Linn St., according to a press release from ImOn Communications.

The Wi-Fi service will use a series of access points in the Ped Mall to connect with the ImOn network, the release said.

The network is also adaptable to environmental factors, the release said, so better coverage and reliability can be offered to users.

“ImOn’s ability to upgrade our current system and deliver lighting fast speeds is really critical to Downtown vibrancy,” stated Nancy Bird, Executive Director of the Iowa City Downtown District in the press release. “Their support of the Ped Mall free public Wi-Fi will give a huge lift to our local employee and student base who enjoys working outside on beautiful days, as well as those looking to connect for special cultural events.”

The ImOn network will be able to have hundreds of users on its service at a time, the release said, and it will be provided every hour of the day.

The general public will be given two hours of free Wi-Fi a day from the network, the release said, and ImOn customers will have unlimited Ped Mall Wi-Fi access.

“ImOn Communications is proud to partner with the Iowa City Downtown District to bring free, ultra-fast Wi-Fi service to the visitors of the Iowa City Ped Mall,” Greg Crosby, vice president and general manager of the Iowa City/Coralville Business Market, said in the release. “This is an excellent example of how partnerships can be formed to provide valuable services to our community. With thousands of people visiting the Ped Mall each year, having reliable, high-speed Internet will only add to the patron’s overall experience.”

-Kayli Reese