Regents approve removal of Wynn’s name from UI vision institute

The Stephen A. Wynn Institute for Vision Research is pictured inside the Medical Education and Research Facility on Wednesday, Jan. 31, 2018. Wynn, a major donor to the UI, was recently accused of sexual assault. The University made the decision to remove Wynn's name from the center's title. (Ben Allan Smith/The Daily Iowan)

The Daily Iowan; Photo by Ben Al

The Daily Iowan; Photo by Ben Al

Following reports of sexual misconduct, Steve Wynn’s name has been stripped from the UI vision center he helped fund.

After several sexual-misconduct allegations against UI donor Steve Wynn, the state Board of Regents voted to remove his name from the University of Iowa Wynn Institute for Vision Research.

The regents made the decision with no discussion during their Feb. 22 meeting.

In 2013, the UI agreed to name the institute after Wynn in recognition of his $25 million gift commitment to the institute.

RELATED: UI removes donor’s name from institute in response to sexual misconduct allegations

The Wall Street Journal reported dozens of employees have come forward with allegations of sexual misconduct against Wynn, the cofounder of Wynn Resorts and former finance chairman of the Republican National Committee, that spanned decades.

In a 2015 agreement with Wynn, the naming recognition would be subject to applicable board policies and approvals of the regents and UI as well as subsequent reconsideration by either of these entities.

“Only in extraordinary circumstances, UI and/or the Board may reconsider the naming if the prior approved naming may be damaging to the reputation of the Board or UI, or contradictory to applicable law or to the policies, procedures, or strategic objectives of the Board of UI,” the agreement provided in regents’ documents stated.

According to a January statement from the UI, the institute supports 29 faculty members across eight departments and four colleges who work to develop treatments for all forms of genetic blindness.

Institute Director Edwin Stone said in a statement on Jan. 31 he supports the UI’s decision to rename the institute.

“Physicians and scientists at the University of Iowa have worked to develop affordable tests and treatments for patients with inherited eye diseases for more than 30 years, and we will continue to work toward the eradication of heritable blindness with every fiber of our beings until this very important mission is achieved,” Stone said.

— Emily Wangen

• Regents approve removal of Wynn’s name from UI vision institute

Lawsuit against University of Iowa presidential search committee settled

University of Iowa enrollment down after intentional growth management

Higher Education

Jim Lindenmayer assumes position on state Board of Regents

Higher Education

Iowa Board of Regents to unveil new multi-year tuition model in November

Iowa regents OK proposal for UI’s new innovation center

Tippie to start a complete online professional MBA program

Board of Regents discusses UIHC audit, comments on Modern Piping allegations

Higher Education

Board of Regents reviews transfer of land to UI

Board of Regents considers department closures and additions

‘There’s no joy’ in closing centers, Provost Curry tells Iowa Board of Regents