Hawkeye tennis returns to Iowa City

After a brief hiatus from Iowa City, the Hawkeyes return to the Tennis & Recreation Complex, hosting two teams this weekend, Marquette and Bradley.

Iowa's Yufei Long wails a backhand during a tennis match between Iowa and Northern Iowa in Iowa City on Saturday, Jan. 20, 2018. The Hawkeyes defeated the Panthers, 7-0. (Shivansh Ahuja/The Daily Iowan)

The Daily Iowan; Photos by Shiva

The Daily Iowan; Photos by Shiva

The Iowa women’s tennis team will try to extend its home winning streak on Feb. 25 when it takes on Marquette and Bradley. The Hawkeyes will play Marquette at 10 a.m. and Bradley at 2 p.m. at the Hawkeye Tennis & Recreation Complex.

Head coach Sasha Schmid wants to get the team refocused after a tough (nonconference) loss on the road against Illinois last week (6-1).

“We are all happy to be home this weekend after a lot of traveling,” Schmid said. “The team has been focused in practices this week, and we are ready to play well to get momentum into this final stretch of nonconference matches.”

Although just 4-3 overall, the Hawkeyes are just trying to find their groove, as they prepare for Big Ten play in three weeks.

One key to victory for the Hawkeyes is freshman Yufei Long. She boasts a 7-0 in singles play, with two straight-set victories over ranked opponents.

To extend the Hawkeyes’ home winning streak against the Eagles and Braves, Long will have to continue her magnificent play.

The match will mark the 21st meeting between Iowa and Marquette. The Hawkeyes lead the all-time series 18-2, including their last meeting, which the Hawkeyes won in 2017 (5-2).

As for the Braves, this will be the second meeting between the two teams. The Hawkeyes dominated the Braves in their first meeting, winning in 2016 (7-0).

— Cody Smith

• Hawkeye tennis returns to Iowa City

Hensley: The Big Ten West is Wisconsin’s to lose now

• Hawkeye tennis returns to Iowa City

Hornibrook’s big day against Hawkeye football comes at a big time

• Hawkeye tennis returns to Iowa City

Report card: How did Iowa football look against Wisconsin?

• Hawkeye tennis returns to Iowa City

Men's tennis

Hawkeyes fight at Milwaukee Tennis Classic

• Hawkeye tennis returns to Iowa City

Soccer

Iowa soccer tops Indiana for first Big Ten win

• Hawkeye tennis returns to Iowa City

Sports

Iowa volleyball beats Michigan State, struggles against Michigan

• Hawkeye tennis returns to Iowa City

Field Hockey

Iowa field hockey falls to Northwestern, beats Cal

• Hawkeye tennis returns to Iowa City

Twitter reactions from Wisconsin’s win over Iowa

• Hawkeye tennis returns to Iowa City

Special-team mistakes cost Iowa in loss to Wisconsin

• Hawkeye tennis returns to Iowa City

Wisconsin’s dagger drive ruins Iowa’s hope for an upset