The University of Iowa mens’ swimming fifth in Big Tens  

The Daily Iowan; Photos by Katie
Weston Credit of Iowa diver into the pool during the Men’s 500 yard freestyle at a swim meet between University of Iowa and Western Illinois on Friday, Feb. 2, 2018 at the University Aquatic Center. Swimmers competed in a variety of events including relays and freestyle swimming. (Katie Goodale/The Daily Iowan)

The Iowa men’s swimming team began competition at the Big Ten Championships on Wednesday.

To start off the meet in the 200-medley relay, the quartet of junior Kenneth Mende, freshman Daniel Swanepoel, senior Jerzy Twarowski, and junior Jack Smith finished in fifth place with a time of 1:25.77. The Hawkeyes received 50 points for their finish.

Indiana’s squad came in first in the event with a 1:23.95, good for 64 points. Minnesota, Ohio State, and Michigan also placed above Iowa.

In the second and final event of the night — the 200-free relay — sophomore Joe Myhre, Mende, sophomore Michael Tenney, and Smith touched in at 6:28.93 for seventh place. The Hawkeyes received 46 points.

The Hoosiers grabbed another first place with an NCAA “A” Standard and a pool record time of 6:11.50. Michigan and Ohio State also touched in for “A” Standards, while Wisconsin and Minnesota touched in for “B” Standards.

Action will continue today with the 500 free, 200 individual medley, 50 free, and 1-meter diving preliminary rounds beginning at 11 a.m.

Those event finals will begin at 6:30 p.m., along with the finals of the 400-medley relay.