The University of Iowa mens’ swimming fifth in Big Tens  

Weston Credit of Iowa diver into the pool during the Men's 500 yard freestyle at a swim meet between University of Iowa and Western Illinois on Friday, Feb. 2, 2018 at the University Aquatic Center. Swimmers competed in a variety of events including relays and freestyle swimming. (Katie Goodale/The Daily Iowan)

Anna Kayser, [email protected]

The Iowa men’s swimming team began competition at the Big Ten Championships on Wednesday.

To start off the meet in the 200-medley relay, the quartet of junior Kenneth Mende, freshman Daniel Swanepoel, senior Jerzy Twarowski, and junior Jack Smith finished in fifth place with a time of 1:25.77. The Hawkeyes received 50 points for their finish.

Indiana’s squad came in first in the event with a 1:23.95, good for 64 points. Minnesota, Ohio State, and Michigan also placed above Iowa.

In the second and final event of the night — the 200-free relay — sophomore Joe Myhre, Mende, sophomore Michael Tenney, and Smith touched in at 6:28.93 for seventh place. The Hawkeyes received 46 points.

The Hoosiers grabbed another first place with an NCAA “A” Standard and a pool record time of 6:11.50. Michigan and Ohio State also touched in for “A” Standards, while Wisconsin and Minnesota touched in for “B” Standards.

Action will continue today with the 500 free, 200 individual medley, 50 free, and 1-meter diving preliminary rounds beginning at 11 a.m.

Those event finals will begin at 6:30 p.m., along with the finals of the 400-medley relay.

Anna Kayser, Assistant Sports Editor
Anna Kayser is currently the Assistant Sports Editor and a football reporter at the DI. She began her college career as a news reporter before moving to the Politics team with a focus on the work of Sen. Chuck Grassley. In her sophomore year, she spent both semesters as a sports beat reporter covering Hawkeye...
  • The University of Iowa mens’ swimming fifth in Big Tens  

Hensley: The Big Ten West is Wisconsin’s to lose now

Hornibrook’s big day against Hawkeye football comes at a big time

Report card: How did Iowa football look against Wisconsin?

Men's tennis

Hawkeyes fight at Milwaukee Tennis Classic

Soccer

Iowa soccer tops Indiana for first Big Ten win

Sports

Iowa volleyball beats Michigan State, struggles against Michigan

Field Hockey

Iowa field hockey falls to Northwestern, beats Cal

Twitter reactions from Wisconsin’s win over Iowa

Special-team mistakes cost Iowa in loss to Wisconsin

Wisconsin’s dagger drive ruins Iowa’s hope for an upset