GymHawks Show Up With A Vengeance

The GymHawks pull a win against Ball State, much needed after the loss to Nebraska.

Iowa's Lanie Snyder performs on the floor during the Iowa/Ball State gymnastics meet at Carver-Hawkeye Arena on Friday, Feb. 16, 2018. The GymHawks defeated the Cardinals, 195.775-194.825. Synder scored a 9.900. (Katina Zentz/The Daily Iowan)

Taylor McNitt, [email protected]

Another fiery entrance, this time in clouds of pink. The pink, however, wasn’t the only difference from the Nebraska meet nearly a week ago.

This time, the Iowa women’s gymnastics team came out with the promised vengeance, and ultimately pulled the victory over Ball State University, 195.775-194.825. The Hawkeyes outscored the Cardinals in every event, claimed every event individual title, and junior Nicole Chow took the title for first place in the All-Around competition.

The Cardinals, while scoring lower than the Hawkeyes, didn’t record any falls during the meet. Iowa, on the other hand, recorded two but counted neither. The second proved to be more damaging than just a score, which is what stings, despite the victory.

The first event for the Hawkeyes, the vault, was fall-free. The GymHawks stuck their landings and recorded a team score of 49.000.

The next event, the uneven bars, was also a strong event for the GymHawks, even if one fall was recorded. Regardless of this, the Hawkeyes handily completed the rest of routines for this event and pulled a score of 48.925.

The third event, the beam, was the thorn. Junior Rose Piorkowski, in women’s gymnastics head coach Larissa Libby’s words, a team leader, started off the event with her strong routine, but a her hard fall – a fall she was unable to get up on her own after. She did not complete the event and did not compete for the rest of the meet. Details of her injury have yet to be released.

Still breathless from Piorkowski’s injury, the GymHawks persisted and pulled the high scores they needed, scoring a 48.800 by the completion of the event.

• GymHawks Show Up With A Vengeance

Iowa football’s road to the Big Ten championship is a long one

• GymHawks Show Up With A Vengeance

Point-Counterpoint: Who will win the Big Ten West?

• GymHawks Show Up With A Vengeance

Baseball

Iowa baseball moves on following departures

• GymHawks Show Up With A Vengeance

Soccer

By the Numbers: Iowa soccer’s defense

• GymHawks Show Up With A Vengeance

Former Hawkeye C.J. Beathard takes over for 49ers

• GymHawks Show Up With A Vengeance

Hensley: The Big Ten West is Wisconsin’s to lose now

• GymHawks Show Up With A Vengeance

Hornibrook’s big day against Hawkeye football comes at a big time

• GymHawks Show Up With A Vengeance

Report card: How did Iowa football look against Wisconsin?

• GymHawks Show Up With A Vengeance

Men's tennis

Hawkeyes fight at Milwaukee Tennis Classic

• GymHawks Show Up With A Vengeance

Soccer

Iowa soccer tops Indiana for first Big Ten win