Letter to the Editor: UISG responds to decision behind ‘Meatless Mondays’

The Daily Iowan; Photos by Ben A
Cows are seen at the Blomme family farm in Ladora, Iowa on Tuesday, Feb. 13, 2018. The farm, which produces corn, soybeans, pork, and beef, has been in the family for over 80 years. (Ben Allan Smith/The Daily Iowan)

On, Feb. 5, outside the Burge, Catlett, and Hillcrest Marketplaces, members of the University of Iowa Student Government (UISG) offered general information to students about the environmental impacts of meat production and consumption. The UISG members also suggested that students take a moderate step by decreasing their meat consumption, leading UISG to call the information-sharing “Meatless Mondays.”

In response to a Daily Iowan article about the campaign, individuals have shared false or misleading information on social media, spreading concerns about the intent and effects of the campaign.

The campaign was not coordinated with the nonprofit Meatless Mondays. UISG has not endorsed the nonprofit Meatless Mondays.

The Burge, Catlett, and Hillcrest Marketplaces did not change their menus. Meat was still served in the marketplaces and will continue to be every Monday.      

The campaign did not encourage or pressure individuals to be vegetarian or vegan. Members of UISG shared information that is readily available online to raise awareness of particular statistics about meat production and consumption.

The campaign did not criticize sustainable meat production. UISG does recognize that there are sustainable methods of producing meat.

For further questions, please contact Logan Pillard, director of communications for UISG.