TV: University of Iowa Senior discusses his worries about Temporary Protected U.S. Status

UI junior Moe Shakally speaks during a presentation for Iowa City Foreign Relations Council of his experiences as a Syrian refugee on Thursday, December 1, 2016. Shakally is an intern for the council, and he spent the summer setting up speakers and creating program brochures for the organization. (The Daily Iowan/Joseph Cress)

UI Senior Monzer Shakally has more than just schoolwork to worry about during his last semester of college.  Originally from Syria, Shakally has been in the United States since he was 16.  He has been allowed to stay because the government granted him Temporary Protected Status, which lasts for 18 months.  He had to rely on the government to renew this status, but he wasn’t so sure they were going to.  On January 31st, the government made their decision to renew Shakally’s TPS, allowing him to stay in the U.S. for at least eighteen more months.

Monzer Shakally / UI Senior
Alexis Tansey / @alexis_tansey

• TV: University of Iowa Senior discusses his worries about Temporary Protected U.S. Status

DITV

Video: DITV meets the Big Ten​’s mascots

DITV

Video: Players and coaches discuss mascots at Big Ten media days

DITV

DITV: Therapy animals provide comfort for those who need emotional relief

Dance Marathon

Video: First time dancers react to Dance Marathon 24

Video: Dance Marathon member optimistic as Big Event approaches

Video: New location for questions about U-bill

DITV

Video: Iowa City home to unique healing center

Video: Students, UI police host self-defense 101 to teach students how to respond to violence

DITV: Puppies in the park fundraiser

DITV

DITV: First look inside Iowa City’s new Hilton Garden Inn