Sparkles sparks a surge of morale for Dance Marathon

Hawkeye Sparkles takes the stage to perform during the morning of Dance Marathon.
The Daily Iowan; Photos by Lily
The Hawkeye Sparkles perform during hour 13at Dance Marathon in the IMU on Saturday, Feb. 3, 2018. (Lily Smith/The Daily Iowan)

In the early hours of the morning halfway through Dance Marathon, Hawkeye Sparkles took to the main stage to get the dancers going again with good cheer as the members have years prior.

Hawkeye Sparkles is a special cheer organization that was formed to include students with disabilities.

The cheer group performed dances and stunts holding For The Kiddos signs. By the time the members left the stage, the room’s morale had grown exceedingly.

UI senior Jennifer Fisher, one of the Sparkles dancers, noted her history with Dance Marathon goes back years.

She has participated in Dance Marathon by raising donations every year and dancing her sophomore year, and she has been able to perform with the Sparkles for the past two years.

“Being a part of something so much more than you can really imagine,” Fisher said.

Lauren Geurink, another dancer who shared her experience with Dance Marathon, noted the special meaning the event has.